Noise!!!! 82 g/k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise!!!! 82 g/k

I always come looking for verification, sometimes my diagnosis is wrong but still.
    Seems I'm burning oil, bout a quart every 150 miles, that doesn't bother me but this engine noise does, I checked the clutch, stator area, starter mechanisms, and below 1300 rpm I have a clanking kind of a knock noise now, when I open the oil cap i can hear what sounds like scraping, no marks on the clutch of any kind it all looks good.
    Everything is tight!!
    My G/K used to be happy idling at 1k rpm, now its noisy as hell, I took a screw driver n listened, the top end is quiet but the noise radiates to the clutch area and the stator area.
    If it was a rod nock or a bearing knock, wouldn't is do it at all rpms?
    Cause if the rpms are up there is no noise but even at 1300 rpm idle when I blip it , I can hear the noise faintly.
    Glad I have an extra engine as this is my only transpo right now. I will ride it as little as possible but will take any ideas and check into them!!

Before you go jumping in feet first pull your clutch cover and your clutch . Then remove the clutch basket, on the back side of the basket there are 6 springs check and see if they are loose. If they are you need to either rebuild or get another basket. I am going through that exact same problem right now. Mine were so loose I could actually move the big gear back and forth by hand and make it rattle
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

If the valves are out of adjustment/carbs out of sync it can make some clatter. New here, and to GS's, but all of my CB's would behave this way.

Comment

3 of the springs were loose I repaired them, tightened em back up. It's coming from the bottom end tho, no clue, I'm gonna ride it while I do the valves on my spare enginge, but I want to pop the top and do the seals too, because, hey, it's old n they dry out, I think that's why this bike is burning oil because the compression test proves great.

Comment

How did you tighten them back up? If you just tried to spread them with a screw driver or pry bar it won't last
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Yah I read they wont last long like that, doing it that way, but a momentary just to rule it out is cool, but it didn't work, still noisy.

Comment

Working...
            X