Cetralizer spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cetralizer spring

I have an '82 GS1100EZ. Recently, my gear shift lever has stopped returning to the central position after shifting down. After a little research, I have deduced that my Centralizing Spring is most likely broken. The part is inexpensive (about three dollars), but my question is: How difficult is this to change? I have the Haynes manual for the bike, but did not see detailed instructions on how to do it. Also, is there any issues with riding the bike in the meantime (other than the annoyance of having to manually return the shift lever to the central position)? Any help is appreciated as I would rather not pay the labor fees to have someone else install. Thanks!

remove sprocket cover and c clip.
    remove entire clutch side from engine and replace spring.
    i have never seen one break before.
    if the c clip is missing then the shifting pawl just lost it's center.
    i wouldn't ride it....just fix it and be done.
    buy a CC gasket with the spring before you dissemble.

Comment

Mine was doing that. It was just simply the shifter arm binding on the pivot shaft. Pop the circlip, clean and grease the shaft, reinstall the arm and clip, back in biz.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I doubt also if it's the return spring. Grease the ball joints in your shifter linkage.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Great - Will try that first, thanks for the help

Comment

A little grease solved the problem. Leave it to me to over complicate things.... Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X