79/80 850L smoking issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79/80 850L smoking issue...

Hey guys... I had to fall off the boards for a bit shortly after joining for some personal reasons... but I am now back in the game. Unfortunately I start the game up with issues...

So I started my 850 the other day and it started up easily. However it now has white smoke coming from the pipe at idle. In the garage in poor light it looks like it has a blueish tint, but in the sunlight it just looks white. I ran it for about 15 minutes to see if it would clear itself, but it didn't. When I rev it it smokes as well.

I pulled the plugs to check them and they are black and had a bit of oil on them. So I changed those out just to see what it would do and it definitely runs better, but still smokes. Before I dropped off it was smoking only when I would downshift and decel... not it smokes all the time..

Any ideas on what could cause this all of a sudden?

could be water in fuel
    found this might be worth reading

My 2006 Yamaha VStar 1100 air-cooled motorcycle has 10k miles on it, and has white smoke in the exhaust. Its not water condensation because it doesnt smoke on start up, rather any time the engine is hot and has been running for a while. The smoke has a distinct burned oil…

Comment

Sounds like your rings are on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj66 View Post
        Sounds like your rings are on the way out.
        Or, if the bike has been sitting dormant for a few years, not quite back in.

If the bike has not been run for quite a while, the rings might be dirty and stuck.
        Sometimes, an "Italian tune-up" needs to be performed.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Fuel in the crankcase caused by a defective petcock perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by dkwillie View Post

Any ideas on what could cause this all of a sudden?
            All of a sudden, it isn't rings wearing out. They wear over a hundred thousand miles or so, not from being dropped.

I'd go with the fuel in the oil suggestion, it's easy to check.

And the italian Tune up is always a good idea.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Checking for fuel in the oil is a damn good idea if you suspect it,and that would be more in line with the sudden nature. If the oil isn't the problem,then a compression test is in order. Once as it sits then again with a little oil placed in the cylinder's to see how much difference it makes.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Yea bike was ridden pretty regularly by the guy I got it from... I had ridden it quite a bit and so it has only been sitting for around a month and a half since I parked it. I was smoking on decal and downshift before... but not all the time like it is now. Its not a ton of smoke either... just enough to see it and tell something is off...

Comment

Working...
                X