Cam chain noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain noise

Have been dealing with this for a while, some cam chain noise which gets louder with throttle. Did a top end rebuild on this engine this last winter, been running great and no noise till last few rides. Took the cam chain tensinor off two times and took apart and cleaned and reset knob spring tension, reset properly when installed( per manual). Seemed better but still noticeable. Took valve cover off today turned engine several times to check chain was tight. Nice and tight till get to "T" mark for 1-4 and right before "F" for 2-3, it is loose enough that you can push down on it and it moves a little in front of chain idler. Didn't know if this is normal? Checked every bolt inside and made sure all tightened to torque, that all were fine. Took idler off and checked chain timing, perfect at 20 pins. Checked valves all between .05 -.07. Did find a very small scratch on inside of cover right behind where idler is, saw no evidence of any scraping on chain. Even when chain is a little loose at top end it doesn't seem enough to let chain slap around. Measured gasket (can't remember if oem), is in great shape and not really very old, it's .073 in.(1.87mm) thick. Did check to make sure chain was still in spec when did rebuild and it was good. Even took left side cover off few days ago to make sure starter clutch or rotor was loose, seemed tight. Any thoughts welcomed! terrylee
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2014, 11:51 AM.

Hellou
    I'm afraid that I'm not possible to give any advice but to ask a question instead:
    Do you notice the sound when giving a little amount of throttle or only when throttling full?
    I noticed the same noise last week (but not before) but only when I give a lot of throttle and it appears to come earlier when driving upward and with sozia --> with higher load of the engine.
    Did you observe similar behaviour?
    Yves

Comment

More noticeable at lower throttle, but if listen carefully can hear it at full speed. terrylee

Comment

No one have any thoughts? At least any on the slight looseness of the chain at tdc? terrylee

Comment

Working...
        X