welding a clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welding a clutch basket

The rivets on the back of my 1100 basket are almost flush. the rivets on the 1150 protrude more. Is it fine to just weld them like they are? Do they need to be filed down? I would assume filing them down with significantly weaken them.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Flush with what surface?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Flush with the back of the clutch basket.
      1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

This one works.... Are you padding the springs to stop them rattling at idle or installing a reinforced plate or??

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks for the reply. I'm welding it just so it won't fail.it looks like yours is welded without grinding the back of the rivets? I'm trying to make sure I don't create a problem with clearance by having welds sticking out beyond the back of the rivets.

Comment

You weld the hub and basket INTO the rivets. Done properly you should have nothing protrude past the springs.

Comment

jonn....STOP!
              the basket pictured will blow a part if used on your bike.
              your basket done as the one pictured will blow a part on your bike.
              you need the heavy duty backing plate kit....not some modified stock backing plate.
              john pearson or a hand full of others can do this for you.
              john's number is 937-839-9723

Comment

Thanks. I never went much past stock hp on mine so far. Curious, will it grenade at 200 hp, or is it a time bomb at any hp past stock?

Comment

these fail on stock engines that get ran hard from time to time.
                  this is not a maybe yes/maybe no item...this is a HAVE to do item.
                  remember...i have built and ran GS gas turbo's sense 1990 and i had very little money back then so i know what you can get by with for the least amount spent.
                  also if you have any question's...i'm more than happy to answer these via pm/email/text...caution fat fingers.. or by telephone.
                  my 1st turbo was a 1168/welded crank/back cut trans/HD basket/HD studs upper and lower/copper head and base gaskets/FF40 turbo...no bars the bike ran 8.90's in 1990.
                  nothing special but i was happy and progressed to bigger builds as the years went by.
                  Last edited by blowerbike; 10-27-2014, 09:56 PM. Reason: forgot a few thins~~

Comment

thanks for saving me from myself, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
                      thanks for saving me from myself, lol.
                      It will blow up and it ain't pretty. I have pictures somewhere. When the clutch comes apart it may exit the engine or destroy your cases at the least. Have you decided on your crank gear yet. I have been running a helical gear with a billet basket and cross my fingers when I get on it. You need a lockup too anything else will slip.

Comment

I ran a completely stock basket with just welded rivets and tabs to support the backing plate with a car tire into the 8.7's with a 720 lb package. Not smart but it held.

Comment

Working...
                        X