GS1150 - Which Way To Put In Oval Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 - Which Way To Put In Oval Nuts

Listen - I know this is real simple but the workshop manuals are no help - something like "put engine back into frame"!

You are supposed to remember how everything fits. Except these nuts fell out so I didn't know how they were fitted in the first place.

Do you put the long part facing down like this (pic. 1):

Or do they go up into the opening like this (pic. 2):

I'm mocking this up on another set up crankcase just to show what I mean.

It's either pic. 1 or pic.2.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Pic 2 is the correct answer.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The reality is either way. The purpose of the long "nut" is to keep the nut from turning when you tighten it up. I personally like to be able to hold the long end when lining it up with the bolt. Makes it much easier to install. #2 is more "out of sight" but you wont see the nut either way. If you look at the oxidation line on yours you'll see that it was originally mounted like picture #1.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Make sure you use the right bolts Richard Too long and they'll puncture the crankcase.

edit: those bolts look ok but worth checking - there's a thread on here by somebody who made the mistake.
        Last edited by hampshirehog; 11-22-2014, 04:49 PM.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Some models have different lengths from left and right sides while others use the same length. Not sure in your case. I tried to look it up but the images on the micro fiche are so bad that you can't make out the numbers.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            The reality is either way. The purpose of the long "nut" is to keep the nut from turning when you tighten it up. I personally like to be able to hold the long end when lining it up with the bolt. Makes it much easier to install. #2 is more "out of sight" but you wont see the nut either way. If you look at the oxidation line on yours you'll see that it was originally mounted like picture #1.
            Agreed. They'll have the same holding power either way and won't spin when you tighten them. #1 will be easier to hold onto, and they are fiddly to get the bolt started on the threads of the oval nut. That's how mine are.
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
            1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

if you fit them the RIGHT way, pic 2. the pointy end sits in the little recess in the crankcase, (seen in 1st pic.) the thread in the nut then lines up with the bolt hole, making catching the bolt a breeze. not fiddly at all.
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Like I said... It will work either way.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

All 6 of the GS's I've owned have had them installed as shown in picture #2.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

You were supposed to have attended the Suzuki Technician's course back in nineteen seventy something.

"Teats go up" is the saying. Otherwise they would have used a regular nut. If you think that is bad, the funky castileated nuts Suzuki used in the '90s and oughts required that you buy an expensive as hell specialty socket.

Comment

hampshire - yes I saw that thread which was why I thought I should ask about this. You never really know do you? Both my bolts are the same length and I have tested that they don't get too close to the case, even though there are no case protectors in place either (well not on a faired GS1150 / GSX1100 for sure!).

Greetings
                      Last edited by londonboards; 11-23-2014, 07:24 AM.
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Age - thanks. I should have just asked you in the first place! Don't want to bother you all the time.

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Never heard the "teats go up" before. I put them in with the points down as they make it easier to hold the nut..and you cant see them standing at the bike so what would it matter really as long as they are pre tested and are sure to not hit the engine cases...thats the most important thing.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My bike is getting old. I guess her "teats" are sagging.
                            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                            1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              if you fit them the RIGHT way, pic 2. the pointy end sits in the little recess in the crankcase, (seen in 1st pic.) the thread in the nut then lines up with the bolt hole, making catching the bolt a breeze. not fiddly at all.
                              In all these years, I've never even tried that. Sheesh!

It's an interesting topic, because for most of us, that fastener has to come out any time we remove the case guards -- so for changing out a stator, or a starter clutch, etcetera, out it comes, and that annoying little b@#$ falls on the ground, reminding you of what a PITA awaits upon reassembly...
                              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                              __________________________________________________ ______________________
                              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X