Cam bucket doesn't want to go back in locks up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam bucket doesn't want to go back in locks up

Hello again, Thanks for last response to my question,you guys really know you're stuff anyway new question when I stripped head one bucket didn't want to come out. On rebuild stiff going in and locks up any ideas plenty of oil used & nice and clean so any advice much appreciated thanks in advance.

Caveman dave

sorry if posted before did look

If the bucket bore looks good and clean without any obvious scoring then I'd start by swapping in a bucket from another hole and see if it goes in and out smooth. If so then replace the bad bucket.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Nice one for that jt tried that and they're all the same,just wondering whether to try a bit of wet & dry on the bore or is this weeIng in the wind as it were or do i need a machine shop

Comment

Does the bucket hang up at certain point when dropped in bore? And you can't feel any bumps? Is head still off engine?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cheers Tom yes the bucket gets tighter as it goes down and yes the head is still off.

Comment

How did you clean the head? Hopefully not by bead blasting or similar because if so, there could be some grit down in the bore...and oil galley (not good).

I've seen those buckets warp before. They are typically very durable but some people allow the engines to get very hot which can both warp the bucket, and score the bore.
            Assuming it's just a warped bucket, get a new one. If you are in the US send me a PM and I'll send you a few. Make sure the bore isn't scored too. Some light sanding with wet and dry sandpaper should clean up things. Just make sure no grit gets down into the oil galley where it's difficult to clean out.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Check that the valve spring hasn't moved off center on the retainer. Just look down the follower bore and see if the gap is equal all round the spring. If it's off center, move it over with a small flat screwdriver. In my experience,some spring/retainer sets aren't a good match and the spring can move. Not a problem once the bucket is fitted.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, moving a bucket from a good bore to the bad one makes not difference. If that's the case then I'd suspect it is a bore problem.

You could use a soapy steel wool pad and give the bore a little polish. Should remove any minor imperfections and any varnish buildup that may have accumulated. Don't get too crazy with it an you should be OK. Rinse it out and test fit an oiled bucket from time to time to see if it's helping. On some you have to be even more careful when inserting the bucket to make sure it's perfectly straight. If not it will bind for sure.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Cheers guys, thanks for replies firstly no grit used in cleaning, valve spring removed so that's not the problem,tried good to bad no difference but all operate perfectly in their original bores. Also when stripping engine noted down all original position of everything,so not mixed them up also thanks to nessism but I'm in u.k.

Comment

Working...
                  X