Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

factory TDC marks on 85 GS 1150E off (4 degrees retarded)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

factory TDC marks on 85 GS 1150E off (4 degrees retarded)

When I installed the new Web 340 cams in my 1150 (1229) I found the stock TDC timing mark was off by 4 degrees (retarded). When timing cams I always use the stock TDC mark (cylinder 1 & 4) to initially set up the degree wheel and then use a positive stop to verify the top dead center on the degree wheel is set correctly, this is where I found the 4 degree difference. I checked this 3 times using positive stop readings on the # 1 cylinder against the stock TDC mark and came up with a 4 degree retarded reading each time. Out of curiosity I then then checked the # 4 cylinder and found it read the same as # 1 (actually about 1/2 of a degree difference). I have not seen a problem (stock TDC timing error) like this on plain bearing Hondas or Kaws but I remember some roller bearing cranks on KZ Kaws with TDC marks being off as much as 3 to 4 degrees. I also pulled the timing rotor to check it and it is undamaged.

Have any of the Suzuki GS engine builders here run into this on roller bearing crank Suzuki's? Since I am installing a Dyna 2000 and the static timing is adjustable this won't be a problem but I am just curious what others on the forum have found concerning the accuracy of the stock TDC timing marks on the GS's.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM.
Working...
X