valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adjustment

I have a new to me 1980 stock gs850g and am checking the valve clearances and the feeler gauge set i have goes down to .002.5 and it will not fit so valves are pretty tight not sure what shims to start with the shims in there now are

Exhaust intake

2.70 4 2.65

2.65 3 2.65

2.75 2 2.65

2.70 1 2.60

I switched the shims in number 4 and was able to get the .003 feeler gauge in the exhaust side
    Any help would be great

Keep swapping that smallest shim around and see if you can get readings that way. If not you need to get a hold of some smaller shims or thinner feeler gauges to get accurate readings.

Remember you need to keep a shim in each bucket or damage will result.
    Regards,
    Jason

Comment

Ill give that a try tomorrow

Comment

You need to get a feeler gauge set that goes to .0015 inch- this is my minimum and I want it to go in! Beware, it's like tissue paper. Try napa or amazon
        Join the shim club on here, PM member ghostgs1
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also send an email to Steve (name and username) for his valve adjustment spreadsheet as it is very useful
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ok just tried the .0015 and it fit in none guess I'll try the swapping that was suggested

Comment

Ok got some stuff figured out finally I requested the spread sheet few days back didn't get it yet maybe someone can help me or with what shims I need these measurements are all with a 2.60 shim
              Ex. In.
              .004 4 .0015
              .0015 3 .003
              .004 2 .0025
              .003 1 .003

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Also send an email to Steve (name and username) for his valve adjustment spreadsheet as it is very useful
                +1 on Steve's spreadsheet. Invaluable.

I try to stay on the loose side of the range (.03 - .08) for the exhaust side as they do tighten over time. Make sure you clean and oil both sides of the shim when reinserting and rotate the engine several times before remeasuring.

If if you don't have the manual from basscliffs site already, go get it. Here's the valve adjustment pdf page too.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

You're measuring in mm right? If so, just go down .05mm on all of them (255 shim).
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

No they are in inches sorry

Comment

These readings in inch measurements are good to go. No real out of spec clearances here. Yea, I know a couple of .004" readings but in time they will seat into Suzuki specs. They do tighten up as they wear in.
                      Only one I would be concerned with would be the #3 exhaust. It could use a little more clearance.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Keep in mind that those would be the clearances IF HE HAD A 2.60 SHIM IN EVERY SPOT.

Since he didn't (see post #1) I would suggest a 2.60 in every spot except EX3 and IN4, where I would put a 2.55.

Your spreadsheet was mailed earlier today, sorry for the delay.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK thanks much I will go with that

Comment

I've never heard of a 0.0015mm feeler so I should have assumed inches lol.
                            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                            X