Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Clutch or Spline Issue I think.

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to bikes and new to GS bikes. So just plain new in general.

I need help. I just bought an 81 Suzuki GS650GL that needs some work. Its in great shape, and it runs and has low miles. The issue I have is that while it shifts positively into each gear and runs, the engine is free revving. It feels sort of like a clutch issue but Ive also read about the rear splines being stripped as well. If you run it in gear with the back wheel lifted the back wheel spins, and if you squeeze the driveshaft boot you can feel the drive shaft spinning. But if the bike is on the ground it wont move when in gear. The bike was driven last year quite often and the issue started suddenly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

Originally posted by jchaplick21 View Post
    If you run it in gear with the back wheel lifted the back wheel spins, and if you squeeze the driveshaft boot you can feel the drive shaft spinning. But if the bike is on the ground it wont move when in gear.
    What happens when you try to run it with the wheel on the ground?

Obviously you will need a helper, but see if the driveshaft is turning. If it is, bet on the splines being bad.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"If you run it in gear with the back wheel lifted the back wheel spins, and if you squeeze the driveshaft boot you can feel the drive shaft spinning. "

What happens to boot " feel" if you apply the rear brake - and are there any odd unpleasant noises?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Seems simplest to remove the rear wheel and look...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Very simple, and it sure sounds like the splines, but I didn't think the 650s had spline issues? Maybe someone tried too many burnouts or wheelies or something.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep, the 650s definitely could suffer from the same "soft spline" issues. If it's a later '81, it definitely could have had the soft "gold" spline.

The spline is the exact same part, and it wears out more from miles than from abuse. The metal just wasn't hardened properly for this usage.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

The spline is the exact same part, and it wears out more from miles than from abuse.
              It's the same?? I thought everything in there was smaller.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                It's the same?? I thought everything in there was smaller.
                The final drive (the "pumpkin") is different, but the driven spline coupler in the wheel is the same part.
                Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  What happens when you try to run it with the wheel on the ground?

Obviously you will need a helper, but see if the driveshaft is turning. If it is, bet on the splines being bad.

The bike will roll while in gear if I push it along the ground. Also the drive shaft does turn when it's running.

I haven't really noticed any unpleasant noises.

I suppose I should just take the rear wheel off and check haha

Comment

Ok, so now I've tried a bunch of things and I'm back to thinking it's the clutch. There is no disconnect between the rear wheel and the drive shaft.

with the bike on the center stand, I can put the bike in gear without even using the clutch. And it makes the back wheel spin. If I pull the clutch it takes a couple seconds for it to disengage, not just the wheel to stop free spinning, but actually disengage. (This is easier to tell when it's on the ground) when you give it throttle you can even stop the back wheel and the drive shaft from spinning with your hands, it feels like it's trying to grab but it can't.

Does this sound like the clutch to you guys?

Please let let me know

Comment

You are saying that the clutch does not grab hard enough to drive the bike?

The first thing I would check is adjustment, to make sure the cable (and any other linkage) is not keeping pressure on.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        You are saying that the clutch does not grab hard enough to drive the bike?

The first thing I would check is adjustment, to make sure the cable (and any other linkage) is not keeping pressure on.

the clutch arm moves, and returns. What else is there to check?

Im pretty much a beginner at this, so explain things the best you can. I appreciate it greatly.

Comment

The clutch arm may move, but is all tension taken off the cable? When you are not pulling on the clutch lever, there should be some slack on the cable. The lever should be free to jiggle a little. I think the manual calls for about 2mm of clearance between the lever and the housing, up near the pivot point. If there is no play there, it's possible that everything is simply too tight, which prevents the springs from pushing on the disks properly.

Where on this big blue marble do you call "home"? Someone might be close enough to stop by and help.

Feel free to take a few moments to update your profile to show your location and your bike, so we don't have to ask.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

It may not be. I'm going to try right now.granted I can't turn the bike on but it's worth a shot.

I am in seaside nj.

Comment

If cable appears somewhat correct,it might be time to pull clutch cover off. The rack system could be jammed -see parts layout

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X