GS550L project that wont end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L project that wont end

Ok so i got a good deal on an 83 550L that i knew needed work.I have now replaced complete ignition system (boyer) rebuilt carbs, replaced leaking petcock, and replaced 17 year old tires. Now shes running great. Today on my first ride past the mailbox i find that the clutch is slipping bad, anything past half throttle and it gives a false neutral, after about 5 miles the clutch cover was super hot. When i got it the crankcase was full of fuel (like 2 gal) I wonder if that killed my fibers? Im useing Valvoline motorcycle 10w40, Any Thoughts?

You said you replaced the petcock as it was leaking already. Did you change the oil and filter after you found that issue the first time? Did you replace the petcock with a new one or rebuild it? Either way I would replace the oil and filter than start checking to see if the petcock failed again or was left on prime accidentally
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Fibers are probably still OK, but the springs that push on them are likely shot (but not because of the gas in the oil).

It's a simple process. Leave the bike on the side stand, you won't have to drain the oil. Pull the clutch cover, replace the six springs with stock OEM springs. Do not fall for the myth that you need heavy-duty springs because the stock ones are slipping. Put it all back together, make sure the linkage is adjusted properly, make sure the cable is adjusted properly, go ride.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes i changed oil and filter, i will pull springs and check them, is there a spec im the manual? Can you shim them? Nobody has parts for this bike in my area

Comment

Working...
        X