Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650g timing issue?

Hey guys and gals,
    I just finished an engine rebuild (new piston rings, and gaskets) and have noticed there are 2 timing marks. one looks like " T|" and the other "T|F|". put the bike back together and cranked it over by hand and did not feel any pistons banging into valves, however I am not getting any compression (0psi,0psi,0psi,3psi). if i place my finger over the spark plug hole there is a strong vacuum however. any help would be great, thanks!

Hopefully,your advancer gizmo is legible. "T" mark is TDC.."F" mark is about 10 degrees btdc...then another mark way to right in pic is about 40 btdc (full advance)
    Are your camshafts oriented correctly?

image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Check for TDC on 1-4. The mark should be T 1-4, and the F mark is to the right of that. Factory manual here...http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...650GManual.pdf

650 timing-2.jpg
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ive double and triple checked the position of the cam shafts according to the gs650g maintenance manual (though my manual calls for 20 pins not 18 between the 2 and 3 mark), and the timing was set to the T|. Currently the timing marks on the shaft are facing cylinder 4 furthest to the right from the position of the rider. Im about to give everything a once over and check the position of the cam lobes at top dead center and will report back.

Comment

You might want to make sure the notches in the cams are facing each other. And remove the ignition plate so you can see the 1.4 T mark clearly.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I am not sure this is even possible, but I will throw it out there anyway, did you accidently install the exhaust cam on the intake? Look for the tach drive teeth.
            I always assumed it could happen which is why they are marked with a big EX sometimes.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by apprentice-mark-maker View Post
              Ive double and triple checked the position of the cam shafts according to the gs650g maintenance manual (though my manual calls for 20 pins not 18 between the 2 and 3 mark), and the timing was set to the T|.
              Please check at least one more time.

What you need to be SURE of is where you start and end your counting.

- First, line up the T| 1-4 mark on the crank with the index mark.
              - Make sure the #1 arrow on the exhaust cam is pointing at the edge of the head.
              - Look at the #2 arrow. The pin directly over it is Pin #1. It is not Pin #0, and you start counting the one next to it. Pin 1 is OVER arrow #2.
              - When you get to Pin #20, it will be OVER arrow #3.

Very technically speaking, yes, there are 18 pins BETWEEN the two arrows, but the instructions call for including the pins over the arrows, so the count will be 20.

I can't (won't ) tell you how many times I mis-counted the pins by saying that Pin #1 was the next one after the #2 arrow. Yeah, the bike didn't run so well, so I went back and did it again. And again. And again. It finally hit me that I was counting incorrectly. My bikes run great now.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So ive double checked the engine with a second pair of more experienced eyes, and have cross referenced the manual a few more times, but its still stumping me. By everything Ive seen the timing should be correct. When the |T 1.4 mark is lined up with the timing mark pistons 1 and 4 are at BDC and pistons 2 and 3 are at tdc. The cam lobes are both facing out at the same angle when piston 4 is at bdc and the timing mark is in line. The pins are counted and are correct as well as the arrows being flush with the gasket surface. Leakage i dont think is a huge deal cause when the spark plug hole is covered with my finger and is cranked by hand durring the down stroke before the valve opens, it holds a vacuum for a long time. When I put the engine back together the first time I may have not put the valve cups back in their proper places, I know it isnt prudent, but the bike only has 6k on the engine, so I dont know if it would make a huge difference as there isnt much wear in. Ill go take some pictures of the cams and piston positions and post them.

Comment

Lets step back here and think....when 1 and 4 fire, their pistons will just about be at TDC. As Nessism said, the notches on end of camshafts will be facing each other like in this pic...if you need a bigger pic let me know

image.jpg
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by apprentice-mark-maker View Post
                    So ive double checked the engine with a second pair of more experienced eyes, and have cross referenced the manual a few more times, but its still stumping me. By everything Ive seen the timing should be correct. When the |T 1.4 mark is lined up with the timing mark pistons 1 and 4 are at BDC and pistons 2 and 3 are at tdc. The cam lobes are both facing out at the same angle when piston 4 is at bdc and the timing mark is in line. The pins are counted and are correct as well as the arrows being flush with the gasket surface. Leakage i dont think is a huge deal cause when the spark plug hole is covered with my finger and is cranked by hand durring the down stroke before the valve opens, it holds a vacuum for a long time. When I put the engine back together the first time I may have not put the valve cups back in their proper places, I know it isnt prudent, but the bike only has 6k on the engine, so I dont know if it would make a huge difference as there isnt much wear in. Ill go take some pictures of the cams and piston positions and post them.
                    The bolded part above could be your problem. Not sure if you just mistyped, but pistons 1 and 4 should be TDC, not BDC.
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Are you sure your crank is not 180 degree out of time here. I thought piston 4 should be a TDC if both the cam lobes are facing out.
                      1981 Suzuki GS250T
                      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                      1985 Suzuki GS550E
                      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                        Are you sure your crank is not 180 degree out of time here. I thought piston 4 should be a TDC if both the cam lobes are facing out.
                        Yeah, it seems that he's looking at "T" for 2 and 3 rather than 1and 4
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Is there a chance that the timing plate has been installed incorrectly?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

THATS IT BOYS! WE'VE GOT COMPRESSION AT 140 ACROSS THE BOARD!!!! The timing mark T|F| is apparently for pistons 1 and 4 where as the timing mark T| is for 2 and 3. which is odd as the manual says to "line up the timing mark T". I find it weird that only the 1 and 4 mark have the fire mark, but oh well. Thanks for all the help guys! Wouldnt have done it without the suggestions that 1 and 4 needed to be at TDC when cam lobes where out.

Comment

Hooray! While you've been messing with innards, did you fiddle with camchain tensioner to ensure it's working properly?
                              did you reinstall it correctly? And release the lock screw? Then tighten the locknut?

I gotta ask....why did you have to do this work? And at how many miles?
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X