New Oil Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Oil Leaks

I posted before about what I thought was a leak in the shift seal that turned out to the cam chain tensioner while I was on a 2,000 mile road trip. Well, I got home and took my bike over to my buddies warehouse. They have a little shop set up with a lift, it's pretty chill and much better then trying to fix my bike on the sidewalk infront of my house. Before I went over I looked up how to replace the cam chain tensioner and found a great turtiuoral on basecliff's webpage. After reading it over I realized I was missing an o-ring because I ordered based on looking at a parts fiche and that there's another o-ring behind the spring. I decide to go ahead and replace what I can. I get the cam chain tensioner off and the old gasket crumbles in my hand, yea definitely the problem, also the top bolts where somehow loose. I don't rebuild the entire tensioner since I don't have a new o-ring.

I did most of the work myself, which felt good, and it was nice to have company while doing the work too. The next day I degrease the engine as best as I can and I take the bike on a shakedown ride and its leaking oil from the o-ring I didn't replace which figures but it's also leaking from a bunch of places on the valve cover gasket and half moons. I've had the valve cover off twice and replaced that gasket. The first time I had it off It was way over tightened (maybe to prevent leaks?) and now is tightened down to spec. Is it bad to have it over tightened? Should I replace the half moon gaskets? I did a search on the forum and saw someone say it's best to reuse the old ones. Should I just take it off and put some gasket sealant on it? Anyone have any tips on preventing valve cover leaks?
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

The valve cover gasket surfaces need to be super clean - any old gasket residue will haunt you. Half moons also. Remember camcover bolts only get 7 ft-lbs of torque..start from center and work you way to outer bolts - I do this in two pulls. Most 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches are useless below 10 ft-lbs.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      The valve cover gasket surfaces need to be super clean - any old gasket residue will haunt you. Half moons also. Remember camcover bolts only get 7 ft-lbs of torque..start from center and work you way to outer bolts - I do this in two pulls. Most 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches are useless below 10 ft-lbs.
      This is why I use a torque wrench with inch pound settings. I also do it in two pulls with the final pull being at 75 inch pounds.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
      X