Timing issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing issue ?

I recently replace my starter,had to take the cam tensioner out.Put everything back together now im getting smoke from the the top breather.Dosent run right either,did notice i put the the tensioner in backwards, wondering if chain skipped a tooth.Any ideas ? thanks in advance , bike ran fine before starter job.

You must be working on the 550, as there is no way to put the 850 tensioner in upside down.

Just installing the tensioner upside down would not make the chain skip a tooth, but not setting the tensioner correctly could certainly do that. Your best bet would be to remove the valve cover and the ignition cover, then check the cam timing. When you are assured that the timing is correct, make sure the tensioner is set correctly, as well.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you,i didnt mean backwards i put it back in with the adjuster pointing to the left instead of the right ,dont think it makes a difference though,thanks for your reply.

Comment

one more question,why am i getting alot of smoke out of the breather on top of the valve cover ?

Comment

Assuming you reinstalled the tensioner correctly...locknut,screw stuff. Did you happen to turn the crankshaft when tensioner was out...maybe to test starter?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

looks like it ,timing is off, thanks for your reply

Comment

Working...
            X