'81 1000G Valve Shim stuffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 1000G Valve Shim stuffs

So, I'm new to the GSResources and I've got this '81 1000G I've been going through and it would be great to get some general valve clearance info, ie. proper clearance numbers, where to buy shims, etc.
    Any info would be absolutely fantastic! Thanks.

The clearances are easy. 0.03-0.08mm for intake and exhaust. The METHOD for determining clearances is just a little more involved.

Allow me to give you the keys to "the library". ( <-- click link)

Once there, look down the center column, you will find a link to a service manual for your bike.

If you scroll down the left column, just below the first picture, you will see a link to a tutorial for valve adjustment.

There is no real need to purchase shims. Determine what you will need, then contact the GSR Shim Club. Ray will send you what you ask for, then you send back what you took out, along with any extras you might have ordered (just in case), as well as a small donation to further the cause.

If you feel you need to start your own collection, Z1 Enterprises has the best prices, but don't buy any before you know what you will need. Also be aware that you will always need thinner shims next time.
    Since you are getting into the valves, feel free to take adantage of the offer in my signature.
    It helps with calculating the shim sizes you will need, and provides a summary page to log all your service.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome!! Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help! Maybe when I'm finally done working on this thing I'll upload some pictures. She's a little ugly but still pretty cool.

Comment

Charlie G is not too far from you should you get stuck on something.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment