Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Sprocket GS1000

Hi,
    Just changing the chain and sprockets on my 1979 GS1000S and the only issue is that I couldn't find a sprocket to fit into the original carrier so have instead got a thinner sprocket which comes with a spacer.
    All fitted fine and I assume the spacer sits on the engine side of the new sprocket to align this where the carrier would have been thicker.
    Looked fine but when I've fitted the chain guard this rubs against the chain so I wondered if the spacer is the issue or the guard.
    Thought I'd check here if anyone knows before I start playing with this to sort out the problem.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Andy

Originally posted by AndyD View Post
    Hi,
    Just changing the chain and sprockets on my 1979 GS1000S and the only issue is that I couldn't find a sprocket to fit into the original carrier so have instead got a thinner sprocket which comes with a spacer.
    All fitted fine and I assume the spacer sits on the engine side of the new sprocket to align this where the carrier would have been thicker.
    Looked fine but when I've fitted the chain guard this rubs against the chain so I wondered if the spacer is the issue or the guard.
    Thought I'd check here if anyone knows before I start playing with this to sort out the problem.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Andy
    What size chain are you using?
    No signature

Comment

It’s a 630 as the original one being replaced
      cheers
      andy

Comment

If the sprocket you have bought is thinner and comes with a spacer, it sounds like you have a 530 sprocket. they are thinner and need a spacer so the nut will tighten up on the shaft.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          If the sprocket you have bought is thinner and comes with a spacer, it sounds like you have a 530 sprocket. they are thinner and need a spacer so the nut will tighten up on the shaft.
          Exactly! That’s why I asked what size chain he was using. Because if he had a 630 sprocket there would be no need for a spacer. Go for a 530 chain and you’ll be good.
          No signature

Comment

Both a 530 and 630 chain are the same width. The 3 in the numbering convention references 3/8's wide. Regarding the spacer, I can't remember which side of the sprocket it goes on so you may want to use a straight edge and check the chain line. You can also try the spacer on the other side of the sprocket and see if you get rubbing but that's not the best selection methodology.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Both a 530 and 630 chain are the same width. The 3 in the numbering convention references 3/8's wide. Regarding the spacer, I can't remember which side of the sprocket it goes on so you may want to use a straight edge and check the chain line. You can also try the spacer on the other side of the sprocket and see if you get rubbing but that's not the best selection methodology.
              Then why the need for a spacer for the 530?
              No signature

Comment

Brilliant, that explains it perfectly.
                I pulled the original damped sprocket out of the scrap box and as you noted one side has the larger diameter hole (although on my one this is the other side of the carrier).
                That would make sense for the spacer on the outside as you say to take up the difference in overall thickness - many thanks for the info, I'll swap it over tonight and hopefully be back to normal.
                Cheers,
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X