X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old oil - low miles, but sat in the bike for 18mo. HELP OMG WHATDOIDO

do i need to change it?
    do i *need* to change it?
    will the bike explode if i don't? how quickly? at what speed (78mph) or RPM will it spontaneously combust?

ok, stupidity aside (just for a minute i promise), here is the history:
    I changed the oil at 25,000 miles.
    I rode the bike for 300 miles.
    I pulled the carbs for some largely unfathomable reason.
    I let the bike site for 18 months.
    I put the carbs back on yesterday and I'm about to try starting it.

Should I change the oil because it's "old" or is it fine because it's not been used?
    and yes i know it's just an oil change. i'm lazy, cheap, and lazy. but i do want to take care of my baby. thanks for any and all opinions, snark welcome

1982 GS1100E
    Shell Rotella T6 magic fluid of delicious
    1982 GS1100EZ

@dorkburger how do i tag someone
    @ dorkburger
    1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

When I resurrected my 750 the oil was 25 years old.... Gas, carbs, and tires, took precedent til I got around to it...... I wouldn't worry about the 18 months and just pay attention to the miles on it.......Just give it a sniff to make sure the petcock hasn't failed during the 18 month nap......
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

18 months is no big deal at all, mileage is much more important. Oil doesn't really "go bad" just from sitting like gas does. I mean at some point it probably breaks down but we're talking many years if not decades. I would totally run that oil all of this season if not the next as well. Especially since it's synthetic.
        Last edited by eil; 06-11-2019, 12:34 PM.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

thanks folks.

i drained the tank and put in fresh gas + seafoam. gonna go give it a rip, wish me luck =D
          1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

If it was your first date in 18 months would you change into clean boxers?
            My only trepedation about not just running with it is: that there is still moisture in there, filthy relentles moisture creeping and doing all it's evil, eating away at everything it can... nasty nasty moisture... banish it!
            Diesel oil is cheap, and an oil change only take a few mins... then again, people say I am OCD so, take that in stride.

Comment

New topic: where do I order float bowl drain plug washers

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

btw I love that this implies I've been wearing the same pair of boxers for 18 months
                1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Yeah if no gas in it then go for it... the only other thing to check is it's not full of water built up from condensation (depending on where you live & store it).

If it were me & that checked out - I'd get it going, run it for a few miles at all rev ranges & then change it pretty quick. You may find that there is some rust inside the engine that will come off quick if you had the carbs off in storage.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Yeah if no gas in it then go for it... the only other thing to check is it's not full of water built up from condensation (depending on where you live & store it).

If it were me & that checked out - I'd get it going, run it for a few miles at all rev ranges & then change it pretty quick. You may find that there is some rust inside the engine that will come off quick if you had the carbs off in storage.
                    I bought a 900 Seca in 2001 that had sat since 1987. I pushed it home 6 miles with a half deflated front tire and dragging brakes. I pushed it up my parking garage at my apartment building, then rode the ramps down and dropped the clutch to unstick the motor. Once I got the carbs cleaned, I put them back on and rode the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ out of the bike for a week or so, including some ill advised top speed runs on 14 year old tires. The I changed the oil. It came out like hot chocolate. I spooned on some 1989 vintage Pirellis that I got with the bike and rode it heedlessly for the next 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                      ...pushed it home 6 miles with a half deflated front tire and dragging brakes. I pushed it up my parking garage at my apartment building, then rode the ramps down and dropped the clutch to unstick the motor.
                      I love this. You automaticaly collect a bucket of badass beard points for this.

Comment

Fresh undies0612191222.jpg
                        1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                          I bought a 900 Seca in 2001 that had sat since 1987. I pushed it home 6 miles with a half deflated front tire and dragging brakes. I pushed it up my parking garage at my apartment building, then rode the ramps down and dropped the clutch to unstick the motor. Once I got the carbs cleaned, I put them back on and rode the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ out of the bike for a week or so, including some ill advised top speed runs on 14 year old tires. The I changed the oil. It came out like hot chocolate. I spooned on some 1989 vintage Pirellis that I got with the bike and rode it heedlessly for the next 2 years.
                          not exactly a paragon of safety, but I believe the point is clear enough...and a funny story to boot.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

That is a terrific story, thanks!

Obviously I did end up taking the 12 minutes needed to put fresh, unnecessary oil in the bike. Man was it clean coming out 😁

Thanks for bearing with me on my continuing journey of stupiding my way into motorcycle maintenance
                            1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
                              That is a terrific story, thanks!

Obviously I did end up taking the 12 minutes needed to put fresh, unnecessary oil in the bike. Man was it clean coming out 

Thanks for bearing with me on my continuing journey of stupiding my way into motorcycle maintenance
                              You can save that oil for a flush if you end up with gasoline in your crankcase.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X