powder coat vs spray frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

powder coat vs spray frame

I am looking at cleaning up my frame this winter and was wondering if powder coating is that much better for a frame, I have a freind who is a professional painter would be willing to barder for spraying the frame swing arm ect. and I would have to pay a few hundred $ for powder coating (rearset money) and I am on a bit of budget.
    Thanks
    Pat

Powder coating would be the best alternative due to the durability of the baked on surface. If your buddy paints the frame for you make sure you let the paint set up completely before putting everything back together.

Comment

I can second katamaniac's comment. I painted my wheels (gsxr) with spraycans (turned out rather nice, actually), and when I went to get the tires mounted the next day, the moto shop called to let me know that the surface was too soft to go undamaged and to ask if they should continue. As I understand it, powdercoating is substantially harder than properly cured paint.

As far as the cost, I'm sure you know this already, but there is that old saying that anything worth doing is worth doing right.

good luck!

Comment

I would powdercoat.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

if you spray DO NOT USE RATTLE CAN PRIMER!!!!!
          it is crap and will cause the paint to chip easy don't ask how i know......

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Yea, you get what you pay for.

Comment

I power coated mine. See pics in winter projects GS Stories. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Definitly powder coat! Well worth the expense.

Comment

I'm not so sure. I had a frame powdercoated once. They still scratch. Next time I'm using epoxy paint. The cost is the same and perhaps it's a little easier for the tech to apply. If you want any color except black, then paint it. Powedercoating will be hard to match.

Comment

The shop near me will powder coat with epoxy as well as the standard powder coat. When I get mine done I am going to have them use epxy powder ccating. It should be tough as nails.

Comment

Had my pipes powdercoated and they are tough as nails too.

Comment

What about.... gasp... paint from a can? I sprayed my frame with Rustoleum hammered metal finish Black and it came out pretty good, seems to hold up to heat and fuel just fine...but its pretty thin even though I put on a few coats.

I've used the hammered metal brush on paint on other projects and it flows out nice and seems to both stick well and have a thicker, but not too thick coating. I'm thinking about trying it on my next project.

Also up for consideration (VST brand?) Ceramic exhaust paint. I like the way it looks on the headers and it it held up I think it would look great on the frame.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                        X