No announcement yet.

Ideas for making a GL good looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now Children...Are we gonna have to seperate you guys...?? Sheesh. Everyone is entited to their own opinions. They're neither lame, nor "smarter" than anyone else. I am modifying a fairly nice original 650L. Why? Cuz I like to tinker. I get enjoyment for tinkering, and I have a particular style and "stance" that I want to achieve. So it's not original...So what. I like it and its mine. You don't gotta like it, and I'm not dumb...or lame...or whatever just because yours and my styles don't match.

On the other side of the fence, some people enjoy saving things in pristene condition. They get their kicks out of pulling something out once in a while, and looking at it through acid free plastic wrap. The joy for them is in the hunt for perfection, and when they find it, they like to keep it that way. To each their own.

BTW, a Chip Foose modified GTO or Hemi Charger will probably get more at auction than an original.... My 0.02 opinion. You know what they say, "Opinions are like *** holes, everbody has one, and they usually stink."

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
      I, forward controls that i have been toiling over for a long time due to machiists' screw ups repeatedly.i just waited 2 months for some couplers to be made and when i got them they were inside out from what i wanted..
      I was wondering about those man. I hadn't heard anything from you lately. Any progress I'd like to know about? I'm anxious to see the finished product.

Comment

Fat Sac, I Have Screwed Around Long Enough Waiting On Others To Make Crap For Me, So Now My Buddy Jay And I Are Going To Make The Pieces Ourselves.it Will Be 3 Pieces Welded Together, All The Welds Ground Down, Then Chromed For The Couplers. The Ends Of The Linkage Will Have A Spherical Bearing Rodend For Flexibility And Maneuverability And Durability, The Other End Of The Linkage Will Have A Closed Sided Rod End With A Stud From It To Put A Nut On.everything But The Rod Ends Will Be Chromed.the Mounting Plates Go Where The Crashbars Would Normally Mount And Be Much Thicker And Stronger Than The Plates The Crash Bars Were Mounted To.footpegs Will Be On Your Own.all I Could Do Is Mount Something Someone Wanted And I Would Have To Pay The Same Price For Them As Everyone Else Because I Am Not A Business Yet.the Stock Rubber Pegs Are Mounted Easily From The Various Bikes' Orignal Equipment.the Shifter Peg And Brake Pegs Are Round Harley Style From Kurakyn And Come With The Set.it Will Take A Few More Days But We Have Already Wasted 2 Months For Some Incompetent People To Make Me Something Absolutely Worthless So Waiting On Myself Wont Be As Frustrating And Take Only Days Instead Of Months. We Have Thought About Posting Pictures Of A Set Just Painted So Anyone Could See How They Look And Then Your Own Imagination Of How They Would Look Chromed Would Come Into Play.i Apologize To Any Interested Parties About All The Delays. It Took From Jan To March To Get The Wrong Parts.grrrrr.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
          Fat Sac, I Have Screwed Around Long Enough Waiting On Others To Make Crap For Me, So Now My Buddy Jay And I Are Going To Make The Pieces Ourselves.it Will Be 3 Pieces Welded Together, All The Welds Ground Down, Then Chromed For The Couplers. The Ends Of The Linkage Will Have A Spherical Bearing Rodend For Flexibility And Maneuverability And Durability, The Other End Of The Linkage Will Have A Closed Sided Rod End With A Stud From It To Put A Nut On.everything But The Rod Ends Will Be Chromed.the Mounting Plates Go Where The Crashbars Would Normally Mount And Be Much Thicker And Stronger Than The Plates The Crash Bars Were Mounted To.footpegs Will Be On Your Own.all I Could Do Is Mount Something Someone Wanted And I Would Have To Pay The Same Price For Them As Everyone Else Because I Am Not A Business Yet.the Stock Rubber Pegs Are Mounted Easily From The Various Bikes' Orignal Equipment.the Shifter Peg And Brake Pegs Are Round Harley Style From Kurakyn And Come With The Set.it Will Take A Few More Days But We Have Already Wasted 2 Months For Some Incompetent People To Make Me Something Absolutely Worthless So Waiting On Myself Wont Be As Frustrating And Take Only Days Instead Of Months. We Have Thought About Posting Pictures Of A Set Just Painted So Anyone Could See How They Look And Then Your Own Imagination Of How They Would Look Chromed Would Come Into Play.i Apologize To Any Interested Parties About All The Delays. It Took From Jan To March To Get The Wrong Parts.grrrrr.
          Dude, don't apologize, I don't see anyone helping you. I just can't wait to see it finished. If I can do anything feel free to let me know. I don't have many resources, but I have a lot of mechanical incline. I'm not a big fan of chrome either, but if OEM pegs fit then I'm going with a set of fat ass MotoGP pegs. I'll worry about pegs. You take your time man and do it like you really think it should be done. I'll still be here. I need them before the middle of July though b/c I need them for my big bike trip. No pressure though. Just take care of business man, I'll be here.

Comment

message to fat sac

I appreciate your understanding.Yep me and my pal Jay will not make anything we wouldnt want on our own bikes.They will look good and work good.I am going to cassville missouri in July, they will be done one way or the other in aobut 2 weeks.I wanted so much for the machine pieces.Picture a one piece beautifully machined coupler for the shifter and brake sides.I told the guys in dallas several tines, showed them pictures in their own book of what we wanted, and they made me more shafts that the brake pedal mounts to instead of the couplers with the female splines as i asked for.I will personally gurarantee at whatever it may cost me up to the point of breaking even that i will have you a set ready if no one else has any since you have shown such a keen interest and patience.Thanks again.Ron of J&R(someday).
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Just a non-technical observation... My L looks better as soon as I get on it.:-D

Comment

Nice work, maybe I can convince Andy (Hugletar) to actually do some work on his now. :twisted:

I'm working on a chopped GS450 right now, for the wife, who likes the idea of cruisers. I'm planning on displaying that here when I'm done, and look forward to the flaming I know will incur shortly there after :-D

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                  Nice work, maybe I can convince Andy (Hugletar) to actually do some work on his now. :twisted:
                  Luke, I will gladly work on mine as soon as I can get it into your barn.:grin:
                  You have a much better set up than my garage. I can't actually get to mine right now.

Comment

B*tch, B*tch, B*tch, you have a garage, it's not my fault you filled it with a bunch of cr@p. That said, I moved the 450 from the barn, to the garage, so the barn is opened up, just bring her down.

Comment

Ah, Luke you truely are a mechanical guru.

Comment

Originally posted by smithbm
                        The last post on this topic was four days ago. Have you really been stewing over this that long? I think you're a little out of line here. :-|
                        A - It is precisely the name calling that ****ed me off.

B - No, I wasn't stewing. Unlike some folks, I don't read these posts on a daily basis. Some of us have a life. I've been riding (to D.C. - it's cherry blossom time).

When I said that I was done, it meant that I was not going to waste any more time on this crap. This was the first time that I looked at this Forum on appearance mods and I tried to offer a bit of advise.

I am of the impression that I am a bit older and much more experienced than most of you. I was only trying to put some perspective into this.

I had a Sunbeam Tiger for years and I wanted to put a hood scoop on it. I got ANOTHER hood to cut and then paint to match the car, I would never have cut the fenders or do any other irreversible mods to it. That would be stupid.

Just as have been most of the comments (that I am lame or have been stewing) made about me in this thread. I tire of trying to debate with simps. What a bunch of children.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                          BTW, a Chip Foose modified GTO or Hemi Charger will probably get more at auction than an original.... My 0.02 opinion. You know what they say, "Opinions are like *** holes, everbody has one, and they usually stink."
                          An original is always worth more than a restored vehicle, and if we were going to debate something like return on investment, how much is that 'Chip Foose' modification going to cost?

And I do not believe that it would ever be worth more than an unmolested original in similar condition!

I said in my very first post that I care not what anyone else does to their vehicle. I was only trying to offer advise (which I expected would be ignored).

But to be abused because someone doesn't want to hear it or wants to argue about it...

Have fun kiddies, I'm out of this sandbox!

Comment

I'm not trying to offend you here, but pretty much every post you have made in this thread has been hostile. :neutral:

Originally posted by highmileage
                            I'm sorry, but looking back through the posts... you have been doing most of the name calling.

When I said that I was done, it meant that I was not going to waste any more time on this crap.

Have fun kiddies, I'm out of this sandbox!
                            More taunting and hostility.

This was the first time that I looked at this Forum on appearance mods and I tried to offer a bit of advise.
                            Your advice was duly noted and most of us continued on with the topic instead of kicking the dead horse around and stomping our feet on the ground.

I tire of trying to debate with simps. What a bunch of children.
                            More taunting and hostility.

I'm sure you're a very intelligent person. From all of the stock bikes and cars that you own you're probably a millionaire by now. :-D I just think you need to step back, take a deep breath, and tone it down a bit. That's all I was getting at in my first post.

Comment

B - No, I wasn't stewing. Unlike some folks, I don't read these posts on a daily basis. Some of us have a life. I've been riding (to D.C. - it's cherry blossom time).

When I said that I was done, it meant that I was not going to waste any more time on this crap. This was the first time that I looked at this Forum on appearance mods and I tried to offer a bit of advise.

I am of the impression that I am a bit older and much more experienced than most of you. I was only trying to put some perspective into this.

I had a Sunbeam Tiger for years and I wanted to put a hood scoop on it. I got ANOTHER hood to cut and then paint to match the car, I would never have cut the fenders or do any other irreversible mods to it. That would be stupid.

Just as have been most of the comments (that I am lame or have been stewing) made about me in this thread. I tire of trying to debate with simps. What a bunch of children.
                              This thread should be placed in a humour section - you're friggin hilarious

Comment

what i did was stretch the swingarm 6 inches... hard-tail with struts... solo seat....12" apes... straight exhaust...no front brakes or unnecessary wires

Comment

Working...
                                X