"L" style rear fender and tailights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"L" style rear fender and tailights

I could really use some ideas here I have a 1980 gs 750L with lots of mods and after market performance parts. so far i am happy with the look the bike except for the way to large rear fender and tailight. I picked up a rear fender on ebay last year and had it powder coated black thinking it would look better. Wrong it made it stand out even more!!! Now my thinking is maybe the fender would not be so bad with a tail light that Hugged the fender curve. Maybe a universal style TOMBSTONE or somthing ??? I dont want to get to far from the orginal look of the bike just clean it up a little. Somebody else posted a pic of a nice 650L with the fender shortened, I liked to see how that was done one so i can try it to. I was would like to see pics if other peoples tailight fender mods if possible !!!! THanks in advance !!!

I am looking for ideas too for a fender

Would be nice to get this forum going with pics and ideas! \\/

Comment

Originally posted by Kip
      I agree with Kip let's see some pics.

Comment

At least on the 1100/850 L models, the fender is a chrome piece that goes up an inch or so under the seat, with the remainder towards the front end in plastic.

If you're looking to trim it back a bit, you could "bobtail" a rear fender with a cutting torch (take a welding course at your local vocational high school if you want to learn or just want to use the equipment.. :-) and then grind the edge to shape, then refinish.

There are lots of options for custom taillights, because that's one of the very visible changes, so there's lots out on the net.

Keep in mind that if you bob the fender a lot, you can get sand, dirt and water thrown up onto your back from the rear tire. A "hugger" fender mounted somewhere in the swingarm area, like on modern bikes, could change the look entirely and keep you dry and less gritty, but you'd need to fab up your own mounting if something can't be easily adapted.

Comment

fender

Originally posted by Kip
          You could lower the rear end to make the fender hug the rear tire so that huge gap between the fender and tire disappears.That would make the fender not look so long.The 750T model also has a half metal fender and the front half is plastic that tucks up under the seat.That type of fender could be an option.Here a pic of mine,it has been lowered.:-D

Comment

Oooooui! Daddy Likes!:-d \\:d/

Comment

Heres my rear end, I thought the same as you, looking for more sleekness, so I bought a tombstone type light from a Harley at a swap meet for 5$, and bondo'd the crap out of it. Painted it, and left 2 little "eyes" for where you'd see the light from. Looks wicked at night IMO. Heres a pic.-
              gotta kinda look close to see the "eyes"-darren
              Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

:-D Tracy,

Your bike is off the hook. Awesome look. I'm going to try to asimalate on my 79 GS1000.

Thanks, BB468

Comment

Detman's got a Harley rear on his bike, if I remember. And it looks dead-sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by tracy borchert
                    You could lower the rear end to make the fender hug the rear tire so that huge gap between the fender and tire disappears.That would make the fender not look so long.The 750T model also has a half metal fender and the front half is plastic that tucks up under the seat.That type of fender could be an option.Here a pic of mine,it has been lowered.:-D
                    Love the bike - I have ab 82 750T as well - how do you prevent the tire from bottoming out on the fender though is my question - also any tips on actually how to lower the fender - I've been wanting to do something like this for a while...

Comment

Actually, Detman used a Honda Rebel fender.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                        Actually, Detman used a Honda Rebel fender.
                        I like the tail but I'm not much for those handlebars - maybe without the pullback thingys...but then you're looking at a sportbike riding postion I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by cruisinflatout
                          I like the tail but I'm not much for those handlebars - maybe without the pullback thingys...but then you're looking at a sportbike riding postion I suppose.
                          I put Euro's on my 750L, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Comment

message to speedy 400

Your bike is awesome brother! That is about what my 1980 gs 1000 will look like.Even if it wasnt going to look a lot like yours i would still say your bike is way cool!
                            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by cruisinflatout
                              Love the bike - I have ab 82 750T as well - how do you prevent the tire from bottoming out on the fender though is my question - also any tips on actually how to lower the fender - I've been wanting to do something like this for a while...
                              :grin: Tracy,

Your bike is off the hook. Awesome look. I'm going to try to asimalate on my 79 GS1000.

Thanks, BB468
                              :grin: Thanks,BB468. Hey cruisinflatout,I've had those lowering blocks on and off my bike for years,and I have never had any fender rub.I have never lowered the fenders themselves,just the suspension.The rear lowering blocks drop the rear fender 2" which makes a huge difference in the rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X