Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handlebar bending???

Hello all,

I was looking at my bike yesterday and got the idea that I might prefer my handlebars to bend just a bit differently than they do... So the first questions that came up were:

1- if I try bending the bars what will happen to the chrome?
    2- How far can I bend the bars before I risk weakening them?

The other problem is how to reach my handlebars and pipe bender from the comfort of my lawn chair and ice chest#-o

I have a pipe bender, and the bends I'm considering shouldn't cause me issues with the cable lengths and wiring... Let me know what y'all think; I want to tap the experience of this forum before I make changes I'll regret.
    thanks

Originally posted by Biker326 View Post
    Hello all,

I was looking at my bike yesterday and got the idea that I might prefer my handlebars to bend just a bit differently than they do... So the first questions that came up were:

1- if I try bending the bars what will happen to the chrome?
    2- How far can I bend the bars before I risk weakening them?

The other problem is how to reach my handlebars and pipe bender from the comfort of my lawn chair and ice chest#-o

I have a pipe bender, and the bends I'm considering shouldn't cause me issues with the cable lengths and wiring... Let me know what y'all think; I want to tap the experience of this forum before I make changes I'll regret.
    thanks
    The chrome plating will at some point crack and start to peel. BikeBandit has a plethora of bars for less then 20.00 each, in black or chrome. Most people use the Daytona or the Superbike bend if you want it lower then stock. FWIW, I would just get new ones.

Comment

Bent mine out quite a bit, no cracking or peeling in the chrome what so ever.

Comment

hows does that gremlin know my ip address and my email address? He scares me.

Comment

I would not trust bars that were bent back, if it fails at a bad time your going to be playing a harp. Buy new bars.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

if the bars are to be bent, make sure you heat them. if you just bend them without heat, they will weaken.

Comment

I got my handlebars on my 1982 GS650G in Richmond, VA, bent *for me* when it fell over. I bent them back (sorta) by the side of the road. The area where the bars bent is starting to rust. I wouldn't advise it.

BTW, anybody got handlebars for a 650G, or know a good aftermarket manufacturer?
              Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

The bars on my cb750f were bent back and down 3/4' to 1" i put them i between two bocks of wood (bored a round hole cut it in half) clamped them in a press slipped the handle of my aluminum jack over them and reefed them into place, perfect! but i wouldn't twist them much more than that.
                Last edited by rustybronco; 09-12-2006, 08:17 PM.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                X