Changing seats on an L model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing seats on an L model

There is a 1979 gs 1000 L for sale on this forum. The seat will need to be replaced by whoever buys it. My question is, do you have to use an L style seat or can you use a standard gs1000 seat. I know on the earlier model Kawasaki's you could switch the seats from the LTD model and the standard model, however you could not switch them on the later model bikes. Thanks

I believe that because the seat pans are different, and hence the mounts, you need to use the "L" model seat. If you don't like the stepped seat, you could pull the covering, shave down the foam, then recover it. Some people have done that with explanations on the site somewhere.

It could be that what the seller is indicating is that the seat needs recovering or something, not necessarily a replacement.

Comment

Or bob it.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
        I believe that because the seat pans are different, and hence the mounts, you need to use the "L" model seat. If you don't like the stepped seat, you could pull the covering, shave down the foam, then recover it. Some people have done that with explanations on the site somewhere.

It could be that what the seller is indicating is that the seat needs recovering or something, not necessarily a replacement.
        i HAVE A 80 GS 1000L.I JUST HAD THE SEAT REDONE.I HAD THE STEPPED SEAT CUT DOWN SO THE SEAT IS LEVEL NOW.IT LOOKS REALLY GREAT,ALL DONE IN BLACK LEATHER.THE SEATS FROM THE L ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE WITH ANY OTHERS.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X