cheap hardtail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap hardtail

anyone ever put solid rods on the rear strut mounts to make a cheap hardtail?

I'm sure it would work as long as they were big enough to handle the forces but why would you want to???

Might bend the mounts in the frame I guess....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

ehh... just a thought. Nice way to get a bike loooooooowwwwww

Comment

The guy down the street from my store owns a Harley and he had solid struts put on his Sportster and made it lowww, he likes it and the biggest drawback he has is that he has to watch it going around curves.

Comment

Can't think of any reason to put struts on anything but a drag racer. Way too much stress put on the frame and shock mount studs. God bless you and your 'roids if you do it tho. :shock:

Comment

A quick and dirty solution is to cut off the coils on the existing springs - the only problem is the shocks only dampen on the way up - allowing the theoretical possibility of a slamdown.

To get around this, gouge up the rod and then use a hammer to drive it into the shock body. This will bind everything enough so the rods will stay compressed.

While the ride is relatively rough, it's not too bad - just run the tire at ~25 psi or so.

You may also need to take off a couple chain links.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
            X