Running up my own seat cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running up my own seat cover

My vintage GS550L seat cover (and sissy bar pad) is faded, worn, and indeed sliced in a couple of different places. I'm going to strip the old upholstery and recover the original pan and padding with new material. I just want to know whether I'm thinking of doing it with the right material.

I found a really nice vinyl at Joanne's Fabrics. It's a polyester based fabric adhered to PVC vinyl textured to look like leather. The polyester seemed rather thin to me and I'm just not sure the whole thing's of the grade of durability to withstand 300 lb. me riding on it for hours.

Anyone else recovered their seat in vinyl? Am I completely out to lunch on this idea?

(This is the last you'll hear of me until I finish "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows," so don't be surprised if I don't answer back right away.) :-D

Gee Kat
    And to think, you still have guys looking for actuated rear view mirrors and/or checking out your headlights.

Better check the shocks while you're at it.

Comment

Have some fun and upgrade it. I know several guys that have covered the top of their seats with neoprene (wetsuit material) and love it. The sides can be covered in the vinyl you got.

Neoprene eliminates sliding on the seat, is cooler, more comfortable and a LOT easier to sit on after sitting in the hot summer sun. Plus you can play around with colors, too.

Most of the belt-on "gel pads" you find on bikes are covered in neoprene.

While you're at it, replace the lower half of your seat foam with high-density foam (think carpet padding) and maybe a thin layer of memory foam on the top. MUCH more comfortable and less prone to breaking down.

Comment

Before you cover it get a thin piece of the memory foam that is being used on beds, etc.. My buddy did that and his seat is very comfy (conforms to your buttocks nicely, or in my case butt bone)

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy344 View Post
          I found a really nice vinyl at Joanne's Fabrics. It's a polyester based fabric adhered to PVC vinyl textured to look like leather. The polyester seemed rather thin to me and I'm just not sure the whole thing's of the grade of durability to withstand 300 lb. me riding on it for hours.

Anyone else recovered their seat in vinyl? Am I completely out to lunch on this idea?

(This is the last you'll hear of me until I finish "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows," so don't be surprised if I don't answer back right away.) :-D
          Jo-anne fabric sells at least two weights of pvc vinyls, you want I believe the marine weight vinyl.
          I can measure to thickness of the vinyl I have if you would like, don't forget the leather needles.
          Can your machine handle that weight fabric?
          the one I use is a Singer 201-2 from 1954 and I have sewed vinyl and leather on it with no problems.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I went to Ace Hardware and bought a BBQ grill cover that was vinyl on the outside lined with some soft fabric. Very heavy duty. Cost about $8. Still have the seat somewhere, but got a better one. Didn't look bad and lasted pretty good.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Anyone else recovered their seat in vinyl?
              I did on this bike. Use the old material as a pattern and pay attention to how they seamed the pieces togeather. I had never done this before and found it easy. Also make sure you get the upolstry thread that they sell. Most machines will do this, its just a matter of the type of needle and skill. Practice the seams first :-D and the stitch width cant be too small or the seams wont have enough solid material to hold them togeather. If I can do this ..... 8-[ I know alot of people could... especialy you :-D

Comment

Hey! You can't post pics of a Yamaha on a GS forum!!!!\\/

J/K, really nice job on that seat.

Comment

Working...
                X