Mags-to-spokes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mags-to-spokes?

I really like the look of the spoked wheels better than the mags on my L, is it possible to swap to spoked wheels?

I'm assuming that there was a dual disc spoked front out there, in addition to a disc/chain rear wheel?

Any input?

On your model, it should bolt right up. make sure you get all the spacers that come with the spoke rear wheel though. The brake side may still be a little off. It'll fit the swingarm, but you'll need to space the caliper inboard off the caliper hanger a bit to get it lined up.
    Keep in mind, the rear will be 18" instead of the 16" or 17" you have now.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2008, 10:02 PM.

Comment

second what 8track said. i had to use a couple washers to get the caliper lined up on the back wheel. also to fill out to the swingarm width.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

You will have to retain your stock front rotors tho (which are better anyway) if the front wire rim you find happens to still have the rotor attached.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone have any idea of what bikes came with the dual front disc/rear disc/chain setup?

Comment

with spokes? I dont think any of the GSs had dual front and spokes. There are holes in the hub on the spokes to mount the dual disc set up however. Check on Ebay, i have been trolling and picked up a couple sets of wire wheels from both here and there.

Comment

I've asked a few guys on eBay about that too. The front wheels I've seen all have provisions on one side for the disc, and 9 times out of 10 have a black cap on the opposite side that hides the hub.

I've not been able to tell if there are tapped holes for the opposite side.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
                Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone have any idea of what bikes came with the dual front disc/rear disc/chain setup?
                All the front spoke wheels are drilled for twin rotors. GS550, GS750, GS1000. All are 19"x1.85"and the axle size is the same as yours now. (Most other country's got twin disks but not the U.S. models)

The rear rims and hubs are all the same. You can even use the sprocket carrier and cush drive you're running now. BUT...
                The 550 (77, 78,79) uses smaller bearings, so they would have to be swapped along with the inner spacer.(goes between the bearings in the wheel)

The 750 (77, 78,79) used the larger bearings but different spacers on the right side.

The GS1000C ( 78 ) and GS1000N (79) should bolt up, but they will be hard to find.

All rears will be 18"x2.15"
                You choose. :-D
                Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Great info guys. Thanks!!!

Off to ebay!

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                    All the front spoke wheels are drilled for twin rotors. GS550, GS750, GS1000. All are 19"x1.85"and the axle size is the same as yours now. (Most other country's got twin disks but not the U.S. models)

The rear rims and hubs are all the same. You can even use the sprocket carrier and cush drive you're running now. BUT...
                    The 550 uses smaller bearings, so they would have to be swapped along with the inner spacer.(goes between the bearings in the wheel)

The 750 used the larger bearings but different spacers on the right side.

The GS1000C ( 78 ) and GS1000N (79) should bolt up, but they will be hard to find.

All rears will be 18"x2.15"
                    You choose. :-D
                    I found a set, and hope to have them soon

Comment

You guys are lucky. Spoke GS wheels are fairly rare here.

Comment

Working...
                      X