No announcement yet.

Two Part Paint Question +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't rubbed anything out or waxed the bike yet. Actually I haven't detailed it for the season yet, but I wanted to post a picture or two at the end of this thread to show what can be done in your own garage. Let me know what you think. 1983 GS1100E.

Thanks
    Stiksave
    Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2008, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Here's another.

Comment

Quality work Mr. Stiksave, you should be very proud of your work. it shows the attention to detail you have.

what gun and air pressure?
        what did you think of the gun you bought?
        what if anything would you have done different?
        Last edited by rustybronco; 06-24-2008, 10:47 AM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks RustyBronco. The gun is a syphon Binks knock off that's about twenty years old. I'd guess around 50 psi at the gun. The gun works well. Differently? Dust control, and learn to slow down and lay down lighter coats, which I did with the final clear coats. I'm really happy with it. Quite a contrast from the black that was on it last time.

Stiksave

Comment

Can't beat some of the the old siphon binks/devilbiss for laying a glass like coat.
            I had mistakenly thought you used a hvlp.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

anyone know how this paint was done?

Trying to do something like this paint, anyone know how it was done? Not the flames, but the blue part. I call this one the bowling ball.

Comment

stiksave

Looks real good. I got motivated by your posts and jumped into mine this last weekend. I missed the pre Yosemite Rally ride, but I have color on her. Did you use any Pearl? I used probably too much, but it gives an interesting effect. I'm now waiting for the drying time for decals and will do a wet sand and apply them.

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave View Post

Let me know what you think. 1983 GS1100E.

Thanks
                  Stiksave
                  I think it looks awesome! If I can get mine to come out as well as that, I will be ecstatic.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                    Trying to do something like this paint, anyone know how it was done? Not the flames, but the blue part. I call this one the bowling ball.

I have seen something like this done with alm foil, But don't ask me how for sure?? "I think" they rubbed a ball alum foil on it (like sponge painting) after they painted the light blue and dark blue while it was wet so it kind of messed up the finish showing the color under it. then let it dry. then cleared it (extra thick wet sanding between) so They could sand and buff the final finish smooth. But dont quote me on that (they also pob. lpainted the red down first.)
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

My guess

Having all of the experience of doing a single paint job with pearl, it appears as if they have laid down the dark blue base, then sprayed a thick heavy and very wet light blue pearl, then took the air hose (while it was still wet) to it to push around the pearl to get the chaotic turbulent flow look as induced by the airflow.

The nozzel would need to be held a fair distance (18") away to get the turbulent flow so the pearl would need to be heavily diluted with reducer.

Just a guess maybe someone else knows how they really do it.

Posplayr

Edit: second look maybe something like the foil would have produced this. Blowing with air would dry out the pearl very quickly so it would likely get a different effect.
                      Last edited by posplayr; 06-25-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Looks real good. I got motivated by your posts and jumped into mine this last weekend. I missed the pre Yosemite Rally ride, but I have color on her. Did you use any Pearl? I used probably too much, but it gives an interesting effect. I'm now waiting for the drying time for decals and will do a wet sand and apply them.

Posplayr

Posplayr,

No I didn't use any pearl. Show off your work when done.

Stiksave

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          Having all of the experience of doing a single paint job with pearl, it appears as if they have laid down the dark blue base, then sprayed a thick heavy and very wet light blue pearl, then took the air hose (while it was still wet) to it to push around the pearl to get the chaotic turbulent flow look as induced by the airflow.

The nozzel would need to be held a fair distance (18") away to get the turbulent flow so the pearl would need to be heavily diluted with reducer.

Just a guess maybe someone else knows how they really do it.

that sound like it would work also!! I might try that to see how it works(when I get the time).

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post

If I was to do this job, I'd lay down the orange to red fade first. Then, mask off what I wanna keep. After that, I'd lay down a coat of deep blue and let it dry. I'd ball up a large (softball size) piece of Saran wrap, and have it ready. Spray on the light blue pearl, then dab at it with the plastic wrap. It's imperative to dab, and not smear or wipe, cuz dabbing takes some of the paint OFF, while wiping and smearing just moves it around.
                            Thas mah story, an ahm stickin toit.

Comment

Working...
                            X