Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairings? What are they like to ride with one on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairings? What are they like to ride with one on?

I am working on a GS1100GK ...

i am thinking about sh**canning the fairing....BUT i have never ridden a faired bike....

whats it like to ride one with a fairing vs. riding with a windshield??

Whats the difference between a full fairing, a windshield like a plexifairing, and a smaller sportshield style??

anybody have any experience?

...sure looks better the smaller you go...

I agree with you, the smaller the better. I have one of the little emgo cafe fairings, and frankly, unless I get pretty low on the bike doesn't do a lot. Sometimes on the highway I lay on the tank and put my feet on the passenger pegs like they were rearsets (though of course they are not, so have to pull back to the front pegs to use rear brake or change gears). That's about the only time I really notice the effect of the fairing, except that I like the look. Some day when I have more money than sense I'll drop the close to $200.00 on a replica "S" fairing.

Comment

I have ridden both faired, unfaired, and with a handlebar mounted windshield (a large one). My preference is fully faired, and I don't notice any handling problems whatsoever with a full Vetter fairing on my fully dressed 1100G. Ask any of the guys who've ridden rallies with me and they'll tell you I have no problem running with the most "spirited" of twisty riders. A handlebar mounted windscreen is nice if it's not too big - if it is it'll affect steering when it's very windy.

Having said that, it's really a personal choice. Some people like the wind on their bodies and some just hate the way a fairing looks. My suggestion is go with what you like and don't worry about what anybody else thinks.

One other thing. If you decide to ditch the GK fairing I'd be interested in the windshield if it's in good shape. The one on the GK I just acquired was cut down and I don't like it at all. Maybe you'd be interested in swapping?

Let me know, thanks!

Regards,

Comment

Fairings are like riding in a different part of the air.

The GK fairing does not give "still air", but it does protect you against road debris, birds, rain, bugs, summer hail/ice pellets and COLD temperatures.

You do get warmer in summer while moving slowly or stopped, due to the reduced air flow, but you also get to sit more upright regardless of weather and enjoy the ride.

Many object to having a fairing, saying it ruins their perception of the ride. Some complain about feeling too hot. I do not get such feelings.

I began using a windshield long ago on a Moto Guzzi which I took across country. It convinced me to keep on with the windshield, and when I finally got a GS1100G with a Windjammer, I discovered a fairing was even better, as it affords more protection, plus storage and convenience.

The Guzzi was on the road 365/year through every type of weather except a tornado, and was even blown totally off the road once in a freak storm, so all possible conditions were seen and felt.

High speed behind a windshield in heavy rain is VERY different from open-air riding...you can actually see and drive, and the water does not hurt like he.. when it hits you.

If you like long-distance riding, or plan on touring, the fairing makes all the difference between a comfortable ride and a very tiring one. The most I have done on the GS1100GK was about 1200 miles in 24 hours and I felt good when I got off the bike.

(The actual total distance was just over 1400 miles, when adding in side trips, and the total time was 29 hours, including a few hours to sleep),

I do not drive the GK year-round, but the fairing means one to two months more riding time in fall as compared to other riders, and at least one extra month in the spring.

In this area many bikers park their bikes at the beginning of October.
        Even more by the end of the month. Some hang on till mid-November and only a hardy few make it into December.

The Bandit has a higher-than-stock windshield mounted on the stock fairing, which is not as good a fairing as the GK has.

At the end of November of last year I decided one Saturday morning that I wanted to visit a friend who lives about 300 miles away. Beginning in a temperature about 50F, at 10AM, the day warmed up to about 60/65F and we went out for a ride, had dinner, and then I had to head back. The temperature was rapidly dropping when I left at about 8:00PM.

The Bandit and I returned home through temperatures of about 38/40F at 1AM, tired, and a bit numb in the hands due to a combination of cold and vibration, but otherwise fine.

Will you like the fairing?

You will have to try it and see.

EDIT:

While it was not regularly used, I did have the GK on the road at least once in every month for 2 and 1/2 years. It would have continued if I had a choice, but I had to stop late in one December after I fell off a couch, badly damaged my knee and needed a cane for a while .

Yes, you can laugh about that...many others already have.
        Last edited by argonsagas; 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I would also advise to try it for a few weeks before you pull off the fairing. I have both faired and unfaired bikes and they each have good and bad points. If you still have the OEM GK bars on the bike and decide to lose the fairing you probably will need to change the bars. The OEM GK bars have you in a pretty upright seating position and you will have to "hang on" without the fairing protecting you against the wind if you do lose the fairing.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

It's a purely personal choice. Try it for a while and see what you think.

Personally, I absolutely hate and detest riding behind a fairing or windshield. I have no rational reason for this nor can I explain my very strong preference. It's just the way I feel.

That GK fairing is somewhat valuable, so even if you decide to remove it and go naked, be nice to it -- someone here would probably love to have it.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ok, I have the 1100G. Basicly the GK sans fairing. Its pretty damn comfortable, but over the last couple of months i have tried a couple of different things. I had an EMGO cafe style fairing, did ok for keeping the wind off your chest untill about 60 or so MPH. I had a taller windshield on it, was great for long highway trips, I used it on the way down to Red River Rally. However, once I got there, and we were spending most of our time below 60 mph in the twisties, and the temps got up over 90, I really hated it. It got REALLY REALLY hot behind it. Plus, the bit of negative airpressure it created between it and you seemed to allow the hot air off the motor to collect RIGHT THERE. It was hot. When I got home, it came off. Now that its off, and I was used to having it, I kinda miss it. If i were keeping the G, I would likely go back to the sport fairing i had, or put the Cooley replica fairing back on. It was good for at least smoothing the air out, making it less turbulent, and not making it too hot behind it. If you decide to get rid of your GK fairing however, you will have to modify things a bit to get a headlight on it. You'll need some fork ears, those can be found on fleabay, and obviously a headlight. If PlaneCrazy doesnt want your fairing, or you dont want his and trade him, I would be interested in a TRUE GK fairing to go on the GK im getting from Grandpa in a few days. It currently has a Windjammer on it, but Id like to return it to its former glory.

Comment

For the record I don't need the whole fairing ... just the windshield if it's in good shape. The "trade" I'm suggesting is if you want a "chopped" windscreen to "finish" the fairing you could certainly use the chopped windshield I already have - more than likely you'll want to paint it to match the fairing (since you'd be looking over it rather than through it and this one is cloudy).

I, on the other hand, would like a decent windshield to look through on the GK fairing I now have.

Regards,

Comment

I have ridden bikes with no windshield of any kind, small ones like TCK's Emgo, 'sport' shields, Plexifairings, Windjammers and the largest barn door ever to push wind out of the way, the GranTouring fairing that came with the Kawasaki KZ1300.

We got the KZ when they came out in '79. We traded in our smaller Kaws to get the BIG one, and they had had Plexifairings on them. When I found that the BIG fairing was not released yet, I offered to put a Plexifairing on the 13, but my wife vetoed the idea at the dealership. Half way home, she tapped me on the shoulder while we were at a light and asked how long it would be before I could put the Plexifairing on. She felt like she was getting blown off the back of the bike. Later, when the BIG fairing came, I had the pleasure of comparing the protection between the two windshields. Surprisingly, there was not much difference. The biggest difference was in storage capacity. The Kaw GT fairing was positively HUGE. I could store about as much in it as I do in my current GoldWing saddlebags.

My wife currently has a Plexifairing 3 on her 850L. We have gone on several-thousand-mile trips and she enjoys the protection it gives, with no real ill effects on handling.

Concerning removing the fairing on your GK ... as others have mentioned, you will have special needs in finding a set of headlight mounts, as the GK has fork sizes that are unique in the Suzuki world. A set of universal mounts might work, but you still have to come up with the headlight and turn signals.

Also, as mentioned by others, do not destroy the fairing while removing it. It is highly prized, and I know that TCK would love to have it.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                    EDIT:

I had to stop late in one December after I fell off a couch, badly damaged my knee and needed a cane for a while .

Yes, you can laugh about that...many others already have.
                    Bro: i hope you were wearing a helmet... LOL

Comment

Steve: my windshield is horrible yellow and cut down. unuseable.except for a pattern.

Argonsagas is working on posting some info on cutting one from lexan...

i'll be going that route.... i like that idea alot!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioEric View Post
                        Steve: my windshield is horrible yellow and cut down. unuseable.except for a pattern.

Argonsagas is working on posting some info on cutting one from lexan...

i'll be going that route.... i like that idea alot!
                        When Ron gets that done I'll be interested in it too!

Regards,

Comment

Check with bikescreens.com (Gustafsson Plastics) for a GK replacement windshield. They have them from 2" shorter than stock to 5" taller and in colors.
                          They are very nice folks and make a good product.

Comment

Keep the fairing on, get a new windshield for it, and try it out the GK with the stock fairing. Put at least 1,000 miles on it before you decide to remove it.

Most of us who ride behind full fairings were young and stupid once. We thought we were tough and made fun of the guys hiding behind the barndoor fairings -- sissies all. Now I'm old and sissified -- and proud of it.

(Of course, you still have old-timers like Bert Patterson and Earl F. riding "naked" bikes in their old age. Oh, well...)

Listen to argonsagas. Riding behind a full fairing extends and enhances your motorcycle riding immeasurably. You'll be able to go for longer distances, ride more comfortably and longer in moderate rain, and extend the riding season by months, depending on location.

If you make the informed decision to remove the fairing permanently, first make sure you have the parts to replace it. The triple tree and forks, and therefore the fork ears you'd need), are unique to the GK.

As Steve said, contact TheCafeKid if you decide to remove the fairing.

Many riders share the misconception that full fairings detract from sporty handling. Planecrazy and I both ride our fully faired large GS bikes aggressively, with no adverse handling problems whatever. Besides, the 8-valve large GS bikes don't have enough raw power to make them exceed the frame's capability anyway, except in extreme cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                              Besides, the 8-valve large GS bikes don't have enough raw power to make them exceed the frame's capability anyway, except in extreme cases.
                              Bwringer....?
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X