No announcement yet.

A+ Paint Job, in Your Garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a look at this. http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm Look under "50.00 Paint Job."
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2008, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Now your talkin'!

Now your talkin'! Your garage looks just like mine!
      Thanks Bunch!
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Duhh! Electrical tape is flexible!

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I used electrical tape on the tank, both sides, to act as a guide before putting down the pinstripes.
        Thanks for this tip! I already used it to caulk a clients oval shaped bathroom sinks.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Now your talkin'! Your garage looks just like mine!
          Thanks Bunch!
          You should see it when one of the race cars are in it!
          the wife gets no room for her car.
          I need a barn....
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
            Whats you r budget?
            As to the Monk, my analogy is comparing used, less than 100% parts to new stuff, which is like comparing a proper paint job to a spray can job. Always in the back of your mind is this- how long will it last, and how much more careful do I have to be?
            Back to the budget- if you want to make a portable booth, you can do it with pvc piping and shower curtains. Ventilation is acceptable with a 20" box fan fitted with a 20" furnace filter. Get a compressor with at least a 10 gal tank. You can go silly with spray guns. For bikes, you don't need a quart gun. Get a touch up gun with an 8 oz cup, that way you can be refilling it to take the flash time between coats up, so you don't get tempted to recoat too soon. Harbor freight at 10 bucks is a good start, especially if you have limited experience. They also sell a chemical respirator with replaceable cartridges. 20 bucks or so. Find a good automotive paint supplier near you, get to know the counterman if he is friendly and knowledgeable. You'll nedd tape, masking materials, a couple light duty drop cloths, good, tight fitting nitrile gloves ( the latex ones melt at the first hint of reducer or thinner). Get a strainer, stir sticks (popsicle sticks) a good all purpose paint scraper tool so you can poke a hole in the inner rim of the paint can so it doesn't drip over the edge when you pour, tack cloths, rags, a metal trash can for safety, with a lid, graduated mixing cups, wax free paper cups, good lighting ( color corrected if you can afford the bulbs) and a good color wheel or color chart. You can do all this for an initial investment of maybe 450 bucks, or you could spend that much on an Iwata air gun by itself. If you plan to do details or graphics, buy a decent airbrush and hose. You'll need a regulator if the compressor doesn't have one, and some inline moisture traps, either the grenade type added to the end of the gun or at the compressor outlet.There's a website for a company called TCP global that does paint, air guns, airbrushes, and all the body and finishing supplies you'll need . Their freight is pretty reasonable, and they take about 4 to 6 work days to get it to the midwest.
            Hope this helps. As for prep, get some isopropyl alcohol and some simple green, along woth a few substantial spray bottles. Sandpaper from 80 all the way to 2000 grit. If you use paper towels, use Bounty because they don't fuzz abd leave lint. Get a hair cover or do rag. Bondo, some scratch filling primer in 2 colors....man, I didn't realize how much stuff I had!
            Ummmm....can we just show up at your house?....with beer?

Comment

If the price is right and the beer is cold. And the dogs in the back yard!!

Comment

Read this thread. Should helpyou out.http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...light=stiksave

Stiksave
                Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I'm bugging out of this one as I have no more to say except to make the comparison....

"set yourself up for about $450"

Rattle can on a masked table outdoors on non windy days cost me $40 - $50.

How deep are your pockets, I guess that's one of the main questions & how much will you use all that stuff again.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Valuable Info, For Sure!

Hey Salty!
                    Thanks for speaking up and all you info. I really like that cafe style you've set your bike up! My only issue with using spray cans is the finish standing up to gas spills. You get great results. Do you think there is a brand of clear coat that will stand up to gas spills? If so, that would be great news to a lot of people.
                    Thanks! Bill
                    P.S. Maybe a pro mix clear coat in an air brush would protect the finish?
                    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-27-2008, 07:07 PM. Reason: More words.

Comment

any catalyzed urethane clearcoat will resist gas, and a lot of other fluids bike and car related. Monk is right when he asks how deep the pockets are. only chimed in because part of the original post was
                      'maybe one a year" or something to that effect. If you have the mechanicaland electrical aptitude to resurrect one bike a year, or more, than eventually I would assume you would want the appearance to match the quality and skill level of the rest of the bike. On the other hand, spray can finishes can be achieved for 40 or 50 bucks that look really good. The pix posted in this thread are all outstanding, and I admire them. I'm not a professional painter, although I could/maybe should have been. I just use the equipment for a lot more than just bikes, as in cars, tee shirts, helmets, bicycles, skateboards and blah blah blah.........
                      I would love to see your attempts, because it sounds like no matter which way you go, your efforts are going to be well grounded and will probably shine (no pun intended).
                      Oh, and as for the "airbrush", they are used for the small stuff. The biggest air "brush" is used for tee shirt artists and it won't get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        Hey Salty!
                        Thanks for speaking up and all you info. I really like that cafe style you've set your bike up! My only issue with using spray cans is the finish standing up to gas spills. You get great results. Do you think there is a brand of clear coat that will stand up to gas spills? If so, that would be great news to a lot of people.
                        Thanks! Bill
                        P.S. Maybe a pro mix clear coat in an air brush would protect the finish?

not from a can!
                        please see this post...

Comment

How bout this stuff?

Comment

This stuff is supposed to be exactly the same as a two part paint, well, because it is. I have heard amazing things about it.

Comment

A 2 part clear over a rattle can should protect your paint from gas etc. Even one of those killer cans would do it.... IF you don't get a reaction. No guarantees that you won't.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Rustoleum

Hi,
                                I am a proponent of the $50 rustoleum paint job, having done my cargo trailer and my GS1000. Word of caution: don't use rustoleum clear coat. It is NOT gas proof. Back to the drawing board!

Cheers,
                                Lyle

Comment

Working...
                                X