strip or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strip or not?

Would I need to strip the factory clear coat off my engine side cases before I shoot them with rattle cans? Does it make any difference if they're stripped or not?

Nastyjones
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

You will probably get

a nicer finish getting rid of any yellowing clear. There was a recent thread debating clear coating v.s. just polish. One here claimed doing the best possible preperation job and still having oxidation under the clear coat.

For me I did a light sand with 1000 to create more of a brushed look and clear coated that. The look is not as dressy and it doesn't show oxidation as well.

Posplayr

Comment

Sorry,my original post was misleading. Just shows you the need to proof read before clicking "submit reply"
      To clarify things, I will be painting the motor black and want to know if I need to strip the factory clear coat first.

Nastyjones
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Although I am not a paint expert, my guess is that not only do you need to remove the clear, you will need to remove all of the paint. I would seriously reconsider the rattle can thing as those paints are notorious for poor durability.

Comment

Saw it on another where a guy used oven cleaner to remove the clear coat.But first he degreased the engine and then pressure washed it.Blew it off,oven cleaned it and washed again.Blew off the engine.Masked and painted it silver.I did the oven clean thing on my engines covers then polished them.Worked really well.Ill see if i cant uplink the post.

Comment

I've had exceptionally good luck with Airplane stripper. You can get it at any auto supply store and many hardware stores. It works fast and well, is inexpensive, and will burn the living hell out of your skin. So be carefull.

As for stripping off all the paint. I painted my cases while they were still mounted in the frame, and I didn't strip them. They came out okay and the coating has been pretty durable. Besides, if you nick it, just shake the can and reapply.

Comment

And if you use the "crinkle finish" you won't even see any small blemishes underneath.

Comment

I sanded all of the clear off of the covers than hit them with mothers aluminum polish looks way sexier than black!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X