Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave the Vetter Fairing...or Ditch It???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave the Vetter Fairing...or Ditch It???

Hey everyone.

I have a 1980 GS-1000G. I got it primarily for riding two up on the highway. Commuting about 50 miles one way to work with the wife and back.

Problem is, I'm not really 100% sure that I like the way it looks. I don't mind it too much, but I'm not sold that it's the best way that the bike can look.

The other issue is the fact that it needs some restoration...a new windshield, new windshield vents, a new radio, new speakers, new mounting bolts, new trim, basically new everything other than turn signals and the fairing itself. Those parts are pretty expensive. From what I've found to get them new it will be like $140 for the windshield/vents/mounting kit. The trim is like $30 from what I've seen. The stereo and speakers will be at least $150...more like $200. So that's about $400 worth of parts and such just to get it back to looking like it did when it was new...and that's not even including the paint that it would need.

So, what do you guys think?? For highway riding should I go ahead and just suck it up and use the Vetter?? Or should I ditch it and go back to a stock light setup with some other type of small fairing??

Is the Vetter really a very good fairing for use on the highway???

For what it's worth, I really like the way the bike looks naked...but I don't know if that's the most practical for what I'll be using it for...

Thanks!!

I think you could probably get a better Vetter on Ebay for less than the cost of those parts.

You'll definitely want some sort of windshield/fairing for highway riding, much less tiring on those longer rides.

A full vetter might not be necessary. I've just got the stock fairing on my GS1150EF and it works great.

Comment

People who like fairings generally say that the Vetter is pretty good. Aesthetically, I've always found them on the ugly side, but they seem to work pretty well. If you're looking to upgrade, have you considered a Hannigan? I think Pichler still makes a faring for the GS too. Plan on opening that checkbook wide for a new full fairing.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
        People who like fairings generally say that the Vetter is pretty good. Aesthetically, I've always found them on the ugly side, but they seem to work pretty well. If you're looking to upgrade, have you considered a Hannigan? I think Pichler still makes a faring for the GS too. Plan on opening that checkbook wide for a new full fairing.

http://www.hanniganmotorcyclefairing...uki/suzuki.htm

Wow. You're right. Those ARE pricey!!!

I feel the same way as you about it being a bit on the ugly side. I mean, it's not the absolute worst thing I've ever seen, but it's definitely not the best, either.

I guess for using it on the highway though, a fairing is a virtual must. That's understandable. I've had a few naked bikes in the past, and they weren't very "fun" to ride on the highway...at least not compared to the couple of fully faired sportbikes I've had time with.

Comment

personally id ditch it and go for the unfaired muscle look ..ie the way it was intended.

dont mean to be rude .....but why does anyone need a radio and speakers on a bike anyway ....thats what cars are for
          Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
            personally id ditch it and go for the unfaired muscle look ..ie the way it was intended.

dont mean to be rude .....but why does anyone need a radio and speakers on a bike anyway ....thats what cars are for

Well, that's another good point. I like the idea of having the stereo on the bike...and the setup that I plan on running should be able to be heard pretty easily even with helmets on...but I don't really know if it's necessary at all.

Comment

A handle bar mounted fairing would do nicely, if you don't want to go the full fairing route.
              I'm 6'-1" and the air flow on my splitfire tends to hit my helmet. it's still better than when it was "naked". it might just be the happy medium you are looking for.

see my signature for views on both bikes.

Basscliff has one on his bike... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...9&postcount=61
              Last edited by rustybronco; 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

vetter

I have to agree, vetter fairings are UGLY. What is bad also is i remeber when they were kinda cool, about the same time polyester leisure suits were cool. LOL. The vetter is very nice on a cold day and strictly from a utuilitarian approach they are hard to beat. I see your in michigan and using the bike for commuting. I think i would keep it. Even though i have and my friends have thrown away countless of those we have pulled off bikes. If you were closer, i have one i would give you.You would need to use your mounts, but it is nice shape and white.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  A handle bar mounted fairing would do nicely, if you don't want to go the full fairing route.
                  I'm 6'-1" and the air flow on my splitfire tends to hit my helmet. it's still better than when it was "naked". it might just be the happy medium you are looking for.

see my signature for views on both bikes.

Basscliff has one on his bike... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...9&postcount=61

Man, those bikes in your sig are beautiful man!!!

That 750 Four is HOT!!!!

And your GS850 is gorgeous, too. Maybe when I get the body of my bike looking like that then I will like the Vetter fairing more, as I don't think it looks bad at all on your bike. I also like that rear back rest you've got there.

Good stuff man!!

Comment

Originally posted by atb1998 View Post
                    I have to agree, vetter fairings are UGLY. What is bad also is i remeber when they were kinda cool, about the same time polyester leisure suits were cool. LOL. The vetter is very nice on a cold day and strictly from a utuilitarian approach they are hard to beat. I see your in michigan and using the bike for commuting. I think i would keep it. Even though i have and my friends have thrown away countless of those we have pulled off bikes. If you were closer, i have one i would give you.You would need to use your mounts, but it is nice shape and white.

I THINK that I'm going to be painting mine white, anyways. The fairing itself is in really good shape...it's just all the "extra" parts on it that aren't so great.

The windshield is the main issue...it needs a new one, and with that needs new vents, and new mounting bolts, and new rubber stripping on where it mounts.

The trim on the outside of it...I'm not THAT worried about that stuff. If it looks great, awesome...but if it doesn't, no big deal.

I think that you guys might be right...if I keep the big fairing, it's going to extend my riding season by a few weeks at the very least...start earlier in the year and go til later in the year...

Comment

I have removed two Vetter fairings. I like the naked bike better, and have crossed the US several times on unfaired bikes. Fairings are not "virtually required" in my book. That said, the Vetter works really well for keeting you warm and dry. It is more comfortable to ride behind than the stock fairing on either my BMR R80RT or on my 2005 Kawasaki Concours.

A Plexifairing from National Cycle goes on and off pretty quickly and works pretty well.

Chances are, you will need to find the stock headlight and mounts for your GS. They are pretty much always missing on a Vetter equipped bike.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        I have removed two Vetter fairings. I like the naked bike better, and have crossed the US several times on unfaired bikes. Fairings are not "virtually required" in my book. That said, the Vetter works really well for keeting you warm and dry. It is more comfortable to ride behind than the stock fairing on either my BMR R80RT or on my 2005 Kawasaki Concours.

A Plexifairing from National Cycle goes on and off pretty quickly and works pretty well.

Chances are, you will need to find the stock headlight and mounts for your GS. They are pretty much always missing on a Vetter equipped bike.

They are. I can see where they are supposed to go, but there's nothing there.

What makes that bad, to me, is that it LOOKS like there's room to leave them back there IF you wanted to...but obviously whoever put this fairing on didn't want to!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
                          I THINK that I'm going to be painting mine white, anyways. The fairing itself is in really good shape...it's just all the "extra" parts on it that aren't so great.

The windshield is the main issue...it needs a new one, and with that needs new vents, and new mounting bolts, and new rubber stripping on where it mounts.

The trim on the outside of it...I'm not THAT worried about that stuff. If it looks great, awesome...but if it doesn't, no big deal.
                          The windshield is made of lexan, you have the old one for a pattern...
                          buy a piece of lexan, cut it it with a sabre saw, (cover the base with tape to prevent scratches) drill the holes, ditch the radio and learn to sing to yourselves.

do you plan on painting the bike yourself?

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
                          They are. I can see where they are supposed to go, but there's nothing there.

What makes that bad, to me, is that it LOOKS like there's room to leave them back there IF you wanted to...
                          Looks are deceiving, you can't.
                          Last edited by rustybronco; 02-26-2009, 10:16 AM.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I hate to say it, but you may be better off sticking with the Vetter; at least from a financial standpoint. My bike had one when i bought it. I promptly threw it in the nearest dumpster. That left me with the problem of rounding up headlight buckets and turn signals and fixing all of the wiring that the previous owner hacked up in order to install the faring.

You may also consider a Wixom if you're just looking for something less angular. They were big like the Vetter, but they were a little swoopier. From what I've read, that was the design that evolved in to the Harley "Bat wing" fairing. Craig Vetter has a pretty good website and he makes mention of that .

Craig Vetter, Vetter, motorcycle design, Triumph Hurricane, Vetter Hurricane, Windjammer, Windjammer parts, Vetter fairings, Vetter fairing, Vetter history, fairings, Triumph Rocket 3, Mystery Ship, mysteryship, Terraplane, motor scooter design, industrial design, Triumph Bonneville TT, fuel economy contest, designer, inventor, lecturer, flying machine contest, high mileage contest, Quicksilver fairing, snap-vents

I've got one of those little Maier type handlebar fairings on one of my other bikes.
                            I like it a lot. I think it is a good compromise between the jumbo winnebago fairing and totally naked. The thing that I don't like about fairings is staring through a windshield. It feels like I'm driving a car and to me, it feels very awkward and unnatural. There always seems to be a little bit of distortion and its just never really clear. I find it annoying and distracting. The smaller fairing provides some wind protection without forcing me to look through a windshield. I also don't feel like I'm piloting a barge with the smaller fairing.

I do feel your pain. Unfortunately there aren't many contemporary options for these bikes. At least, there's nothing that's bolt-on and go. I recently purchased a set of Vetter saddlebags and a top case. They are truly ugly. Something I think only a mother could love. However, I paid $150 for the whole set, including all of the mounting hardware and the original installation and owners' manuals. They are in very good shape. I just couldn't make something that would be as sturdy or nice for that kind of money. So, you swallow the bitter pill when you throw your leg over the bike, or you pony up for a newer more boring bike that already has that stuff. Form follows function, right?

Comment

Keep the fairing. Everything you have stated about the kind of riding you do and what you enjoy while you are riding screams for a faired bike.

Commuting means you will not always have the option of skipping the ride when the weather turns bad. Two up means twice the misery in the cold, the wet, and the wind. Also the Winjammer has storage areas for tire kit, rain gear, and other on road essentials.

Then there is the safety factor. That big ol' winjammer is much easier for cagers to pickup in reduced visibility situations. The odds of someone pulling out or left turning on you are less the more frontal surface you give them to see. The two most popular "cool" bike looks, cruiser and sportbike, both minimize the amount of frontal surface. 100 miles a day every day; you and your wife both at risk; I say stack the odds in your favor as much as you can.

If you want to listen to music, you need the relative quiet zone behind the fairing. Otherwise the volume has to be turned up so loud it will be damaging to your ears.

Now let's take a look at those cost numbers. First of all eliminate the stereo repair costs. No fairing much less windshield that you buy to replace the Winjammer will come with a working stereo. Just remove the one you have from the Vetter and you are where you would be with a Vetter replacement. In either case you may want to explore the MP3 with earbuds route. There have been several threads on that approach here on the forum.

I'm sure you can find a cheaper windshield if you have some patience. You can actually cut one yourself out of Lexan if you don't have to have the vents. Depending on its condition you might be able to rub out scratches on it; there are products for that job.

As far as the appearance, how about putting up a picture and let us make some suggestions? Do you have some sort of luggage on the back? The only time I think a fairing looks funny is when the bike is unbalanced. In addition to being highly functional a box and/or bags serves to complete the lines of a touring faired motorcycle.

There is another very similar thread over in the performance forum that you may want to read also.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X