Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
    Thanks for the advice,

So with a siphon gun and a " 21 gallon 3hp compressor 220v rated for continuous use " should be fine to paint a car one panel at a time even though it means stopping once in awile? I don't think this unit is two stage, it's a single piston compressor.
    Single stage.

and I ask you, what are the requirements of the gun and what are the spec's of the compressor.

you could paint a complete with what I have, if you wanted to do it panel by panel and put your mind to it. I shot a 3x4 ft hood and a front end cover with it.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Single stage.

and I ask you, what are the requirements of the gun and what are the spec's of the compressor.

you could paint a complete with what I have, if you wanted to do it panel by panel and put your mind to it. I shot a 3x4 ft hood and a front end cover with it.
      Great link and review of the hvlp gun, you answered my question!

The gun is rated at 2 cfm, however i read you should multiply the gun requirements by 4 for spraying or DA sanders ( i won't be using a DA )

So i came up with 8 cfm needed by the gun, and the compressor is 8.8 CFM at 40 PSI.

I could buy a HVLP that is rated at 6 FM without multipliying the needed CFM, ( these are matched to the Husky brand compressor single stage 30 gallon 2-3 hp, 115 volt that is rated at 6.5 CFM at 40 psi )

i just wanted to make sure all this made sense before i buy the compressor.

Thanks and sorry for the thread hijack.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

One thing to note about spray equipment. Although the gun maybe HVLP ( High volume/low pressure) and call for spraying paint at 20 psi or so you need to have compressor outlet pressure set as high as you can 80/90psi or higher. Pressure will drop right off in the 6 feet from tank to gun. Trust me on this.

Urethane is nasty stuff so don't scrimp on the mask and it is not a bad idea to wear goggles and have fresh air moving (i.e. a fan).

Once you get the hang of HVLP and compressor you are hooked.

Cheers all,
        Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          One thing to note about spray equipment. Although the gun maybe HVLP ( High volume/low pressure) and call for spraying paint at 20 psi or so you need to have compressor outlet pressure set as high as you can 80/90psi or higher. Pressure will drop right off in the 6 feet from tank to gun. Trust me on this.

Urethane is nasty stuff so don't scrimp on the mask and it is not a bad idea to wear goggles and have fresh air moving (i.e. a fan).

Once you get the hang of HVLP and compressor you are hooked.

Cheers all,
          Spyug.
          Yes you are right about how nasty that stuff is, i'll be painting outdoors with the proper equipment, coveralls, gloves, sock, etc.

I'll most likely be going with black pipe to route the air towards the work area then a 20ft hose max to the gun including the oil/water/air filter. The black pipe will cool the air and be angles to draing the water towards the tank.

Thanks again for the advice!

Comment

Working...
          X