lil bit of an overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lil bit of an overhaul

well I just aquired my gs750e about a month ago. I am in the process of doing some stuff to it to make it into what I'd like it to be. It has an 1100 motor on it and some mikuni flatsides, although i am thinking about doing a big block kit and getting some head work done, just a matter of finding a local person. I just purchased the rear/front wheel, swing arm, forks, upper/lower tripple trees, and calipers from a gsxr750. A couple more parts to go, and she'll be ready to install. I need to figure out what chain to use, and what color I'm going to do the bike in. I have a few pics, and I'll post some more, nice to meet everyone.

I have a couple more pics, but at one a pop I'll wait til tomorrow.

Comment

well I just aquired my gs750e about a month ago. I am in the process of doing some stuff to it to make it into what I'd like it to be. It has an 1100 motor on it and some mikuni flatsides, although i am thinking about doing a big block kit and getting some head work done, just a matter of finding a local person.
      The reason that you have a 1100 engine in your 750E is because it is a 82 1100EZ or is it an 83 GS1100ED?

The foot pegs only fit the ED unless someone modified the frame. It is painted like an 82, silver motor, has 82 wheels and chrome chain guard. There is a funny peg above the rear peg I dont recognize as well. Carbs look like CV's but you need more pics.

Watchout for 750 GSXR forks they can be too short

Good job fun bike, especially with big bore kit.

Jim
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-30-2009, 03:16 AM.

Comment

well thanks for the info, I was just going by the title, but thats nice to know. at least i'll save some on insurance.

Comment

ive been doing some reading on head swaps with the gsxr but I dont feel confident enough to make a definitive decision yet.

Comment

Originally posted by absolute View Post
            well thanks for the info, I was just going by the title, but thats nice to know. at least i'll save some on insurance.
            I suggest you check the vin number on your title and compare it to the number on the bike. Sounds like there could be a mismatch.

Good luck.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by absolute View Post
              I have a couple more pics, but at one a pop I'll wait til tomorrow.
              Yeah, that's only one a pop if you attach the picture, but you can put four in there is you follow these directions.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you have a transplanted engine of a higher displacement than stock you need to make your insurance company aware of it or you will face a 'No coverage" situation if anything happens.

There was just such a thread on my local forum recentley. A guy dropped a 1000 in a 750 GSX-r . Had a crash with a cage. Insurance was not made aware of the upgrade and declined any coverage. Since the guy injured someone and he was found at fault, he's on the hook big time. Pretty much kiss away the rest of his life in bill payment.

Not worth the minor savings you may get on your policy now.

Sorry to be a party pooper but something to think about.

Spyug

Comment

Need more pics

Well one other possibility exists, I guess; that is an 83 GS1100ED and someone put a (80/81) 750E motor into it?

Is there a oil sensor over under the carbs? If so then 1100

Are there bolts for banjo fittings on either side of the filter cover? if so then 1100

Is there a chrome cover on center of the filter cover. If so then 750.

It does have older style wheel, chain guard and shocks off an earlier bike.

Jim

Comment

well im going to check the vin tomorrow. suzukiray also said it looks like a 1100, which is whats stamped on the motor.

As far as the insurance goes, , I didnt know I had to notify them if it were due to modifications. If thats the best way to do it, then ill do it that way.

Comment

couple of additions i can hopefully get on, as soon as my front sprocket comes in, and I get the bike to start.

Comment

Comment

my 17th sprocket came in today and Ive been doing some cleaning up. trying to trace a starting problem, she used to start on starter fluid when I first got her, I had a guy clean the carbs, now I get gas, but no spark.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X