GS1000S paint work started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

The GS1000S striping is finally done...whew. It's always exciting and a little nerve wracking, but it all came out real nice. Clear's next after the decals.

1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Looking real good, can't wait for the clear. But I gotta ask:

A.) how long between coats do you wait before doing the next taping session?

B.) How careful do you have to be ?

C.) Are you burnishing the tape edges or just firm finger tip pressure?

D.) how long did you wait before the decal (maybe it is just laying there waiting for first clear coat)

TIA

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Looking real good, can't wait for the clear. But I gotta ask:

A.) how long between coats do you wait before doing the next taping session?

B.) How careful do you have to be ?

C.) Are you burnishing the tape edges or just firm finger tip pressure?

D.) how long did you wait before the decal (maybe it is just laying there waiting for first clear coat)

TIA

Pos
            A) I waited overnight inbetween coats of color. This stuff dries pretty quickly, and you're only spraying a couple of light coats just to get the color. You want as little buildup as possible. That way the tape pulls off cleanly. It also makes it much easier to bury the stripes in clear.

B) You still have to be as careful as you possibly can be. It's dry, but it's still really fresh and delicate. Your hands need to be spotless and dry at all times.

C) The Fine Line tape sticks really well. I lay it all down and then go back over it with my finger tip wrapped tightly in a clean shop rag and apply good pressure to it. You won't hurt the paint. A tool of any kind would be too harsh, though.

D) I'll put the decals on tomorrow, and then start the clear. You want to get on the fresh paint as soon as you can. That also insures the white stays pristine. After it's clear coated you don't have to freak out so much about finger prints and stuff on the white.
            Last edited by nvr2old; 06-04-2009, 05:09 PM.
            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Nvr2old-the tape you use, is it different the the "regular" painters tape for home painting? I've used "painters tape" from say Home Depot and it always seem the adhesive sticks to the paint, even if I wait plenty long enough for the paint to dry. Is this automotive painters tape and does it have a cleaner release? Freaking awesome details and pics! This is so great for me.

I was in the service for almost 10 years, got in a really bad car accident and hurt my back. Long story short, I couldn't deploy any more and got medically discharged. I've spent the last two years, wondering what career I can do the rest of my life. I was talking to my sister-in-law about painting my bike and how much I LOVE painting things. She said "I should see how my face lights up when I'm talking about it". About a month ago, I decided I'd persue my long love affair with painting (bikes, cars, boats-I don't mind) and bought a really good book and DVD as a start. Soon it will be the basic equipment. Learning the "professional" side of it is so fun for me. I'm considering going to a local trade college to enroll and even apprentice under someone locally.

I've learned if you LOVE something so much, THAT is what you need to do for a career. You WILL find a way to make the money once you are fully passionate about your carrer. Seeing this post is what get me so excited for the future! So when I say I really appreaciate you taking the time for us, teaching us-I mean it!

Comment

I'm glad you're enjoying the progress on the S. I always encourage people to learn to paint. It's very satisfying work..when everything goes right..it can be very frustrating at times, too..and expensive if things have to be re-done. I love the whole process, though. Just takes time, and the courage to do it. I painted professionally for a number of years, but I have to admit, it's not the healthiest environment to be immersed in for 8 hrs. a day, so now I just do it for myself, and select friends.

The tapes I use are all 3M autobody grade..and that's IT. NO other tape even comes close. The beauty of 3M is it sticks, stays put, always stays flexible, and comes off w/o leaving a gluey residue what-so-ever. It's stickier than house paint tape, and a little pricey, but it's the sh-t, man. Good luck on your schooling.
                Last edited by nvr2old; 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM.
                1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Ghost reflected?

Did I see a 68-70 vette under a car cover tarp, reflected in a side cover?
                  I'm following your trail, but I know that shape under the tarp.
                  Bill
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Ahhhh..you noticed. Good eye. Yeah, it's a '68 roadster I've owned for 33 years.

Last edited by nvr2old; 06-05-2009, 01:47 AM.
                    1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Fabulous!

I had a '70 for about a decade. I raced it for a few, then used it just for commuting mostly up and down the Outer Drive in Chicago. I rarely had the T Tops up. A fabulous car that had a life of it's own, I just took care of it for a few years until it found a new owner. It brought out the friendly side in people I met.
                      Bill
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

Fantastic work, I think everyone is following this thread closely. After taping you applied the blue base directly over the white base coat which got me wondering

Question: I thought basecoats in general had to be clear coated within a 24 hour period? Is the PPG B/C & application of DCU 2021 clear coat different or based on your experience have you found you can safely exceed the 24 hour window with out ill effects?
                        Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                          Fantastic work, I think everyone is following this thread closely. After taping you applied the blue base directly over the white base coat which got me wondering

Question: I thought basecoats in general had to be clear coated within a 24 hour period? Is the PPG B/C & application of DCU 2021 clear coat different or based on your experience have you found you can safely exceed the 24 hour window with out ill effects?
                          That is definitely the recommendation. I think that's more critical to a metallic color then straight colors like this one. You can't sand a metallic w/o disturbing the metallic flakes, but you can sand solids. I've found that as long as they're very thin coats like they've been so far here, that it seems to be OK. But you still need to get the clear on as soon as you can. I'll scuff the white and blue a little with 600..barely..just enough to help make sure the clear will adhere. I've done it this way quite a few times with good results, much to the chagrin of the people at the paint store, though. It's really hard to clear coat within 24 hrs. when there are three colors involved. There has to be some drying time between them. The only other method that might work would be to clear between each color and then sand the clear before the next color coat, but that would take forever.
                          Last edited by nvr2old; 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM.
                          1979 GS1000S,

Comment

That is definitely the recommendation. I think that's more critical to a metallic color then straight colors like this one. You can't sand a metallic w/o disturbing the metallic flakes, but you can sand solids. I've found that as long as they're very thin coats like they've been so far here, that it seems to be OK. But you still need to get the clear on as soon as you can. I'll scuff the white and blue a little with 600..barely..just enough to help make sure the clear will adhere. I've done it this way quite a few times with good results, much to the chagrin of the people at the paint store, though. It's really hard to clear coat within 24 hrs. when there are three colors involved. There has to be some drying time between them. The only other method that might work would be to clear between each color and then sand the clear before the next color coat, but that would take forever.
                            Nvr2old,
                            Thanks for the response, I asked because I am painting a two tone metallic scheme (1992 GM WA9544 Med Blue & 2009 WA636R Switch Blade Silver) and have read as you stated you cannot sand a metallic B/C w/o disturbing the flake pattern. I guess I will shoot the Med Blue, clear coat it and then tape off section for the silver unless someone has some experience with Dupont Nason Ful-Base Basecoat & Nason 497-00 Clear.

PM me if you have insight I don't mean to distract this thread.
                            Steve
                            Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

That's how I would do yours. Paint the blue, immediately clear coat it with 2-3 coats. wait 24 hrs. then sand the clear smooth with 600, mask off the blue, spray the silver, clear coat immediately again with another 3-4 coats, let it set for a few days, then sand with 600-1000-1500-2000 and buff. Should work great.
                              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I use automotive PPG paint and primers that are all 2-3 part products. Nice stuff.
                                are you using dbu or dbc base coat materials?
                                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                                X