look what I got

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look what I got

Well I bought what I thought was a good deal, "and price wise it was" but Ive just been told that its not a good platform to start with, if I want to make the bike fast as well as nice, so.. I'm kinda bummed about the second project now.

Wow, talk about needing everything!

It's a 1980 GS 1000? If it is, you could ask for a nicer bike

I hope the price was under a $100

I like the Pirelli Phantom/IRC tires. That's what I had on my bike in 1979
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

you are correct sir. It is a gs1000. believe it or not the guy has pretty much all of the parts for it. I do have the wiring harness, but he has 5-6 of everything else for the bike. I was told the 16 valvers are a better canvas.

Comment

Originally posted by absolute View Post
        you are correct sir. It is a gs1000. believe it or not the guy has pretty much all of the parts for it. I do have the wiring harness, but he has 5-6 of everything else for the bike. I was told the 16 valvers are a better canvas.
        Those 2 valve 1000's can make real good power still. From what I hear the 2 valvers are much torquier.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that as the base for a long term streetfighter project but will take a little more time & effort if you wanted to build a completely stock bike

I love to see bikes built up from next to nothing as it usually throws up some interesting solutions to any problems found, dont be disheartened fella & keep showing us how you are getting along

the best of luck with it

Comment

I think it has potential. At least there is not that much to tear apart. You might as well tear it down to the bare frame and start from there. With enough time and money you'll get it looking good as new.

Comment

Originally posted by absolute View Post
              I was told the 16 valvers are a better canvas.
              Never believe that person again. The 16V motors do have some more HP, but that's not so relevant in light of current technology.

He has most of the parts? Get all of them and sell off what you don't need. Does it have a good gas tank(s) ?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Uuhmmmm.....where's the rest of it ??

Just kidding !! That looks like blast ! I would go ahead and finish the teardown and start from the frame up. You may never have it this far apart again.
                And it's not a "better" canvas, just a different one. They're all good !!

Good Luck and keep the pics coming as you move along.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                  .... I would go ahead and finish the teardown and start from the frame up. You may never have it this far apart again. And it's not a "better" canvas, just a different one. They're all good !!......
                  Couldn't put it better myself.

You've got it that far, strip that sucker down and rebuild it from the frame up. A repainted frame makes all the difference when it's all put back together. You'll have one of the nicest bikes on the road when you're done. Keep us posted.

Comment

That's an awesome blank canvas!

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Never believe that person again. The 16V motors do have some more HP, but that's not so relevant in light of current technology.

He has most of the parts? Get all of them and sell off what you don't need. Does it have a good gas tank(s) ?
                      i do have an extra good gas tank.

Comment

I definitely thank everyone for the encouragement, I do appreciate it very much.

Comment

mmmmmm................................canvas

Comment

nice starter

thats a good start i'd say. just build it and plan to drop in a 1150 later..
                            iv been building my bike for 4 years and just now got a big motor...

and at this time im still working on it... just got a 1150 motor to build and install. if you need any help pm me.. i do every thing at home and by hand. im not just a biker im a builder.. lol well i build my style of bikes any way...

Comment

good to see someone retain the classic front light and clocks ...how did you rig them up to work without the front speedo drive on them forks

Comment

Working...
                              X