Smokin's 82 Kat Restorification project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
    Or a pearly white, maybe? I think the dark metallic grey is out - too wierd with the accents. Too bad because I like that look.
    Prolly just stick with silver......
    Silver.....

Comment

Suppose I could have the tank PC'd to match, eh?

Comment

Suppose I could have the tank PC'd to match, eh?
        That's what I was a thinking. G.

Comment

It Works!!

Don't get your hopes up; I'm only talking about the wiring.
          Harness installed and tested - success! Big thanks to RussR33 for the pristing wiring harness at a fair price. Thanks!
          Light comes on, blinkers work, starter spins when I touch the starter button, and the horn works. Neutral and oil pressure lights all work, too!

One more step completed; the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

Comment

Timing off - Waayyy off

So I went out the other night to set valve clearances on my 82 Kat project and as I set the crank to the timing mark as per the manual, it looked funny. The notches on the ends of the cams were in a wierd position, and the numbers on the cam chainwheel were nowhere near where they should have been.

Turns out I was off by 180 deg plus a few teeth. Now how in the he!! did that happen?

We (Tim and I) checked and double checked and then triple checked our double check, and yet it happened. We even rotated the motor a few revolutions to be sure everything was kosher, and it was; i.e., no interference with anything....

At any rate, I've since retimed everything and after quad checking everything it all looks good.

Glad I didn't try to start the thing.....

This might be a good double check for anyone reassembling a motor - if the cams don't line up to do a valve adjust then something is wrong

Comment

Overall views

So,
              lots of progress lately - I've finished installing the wiring harness, bled the brakes, and installed bodywork just to see it all together again. I think the darker grey doesn't look too funky after all. Yes, the bodywork looks like crap but I think I'll leave it like that for the year and over the winter do it up nice for next year:

Some of my pictures are a little washed out but hey, what can ya do?

Installed the exhaust also. The mount to the frame near the passenger footrest is a machined aluminum spacer (thanks again, Dan!) that looks really trick! Exhaust is an unknown 4-1 header that came with the bike, and the pipe is the right side stocker off a Hayabusa. Works really well, was cheap, and looks pretty good too:

Controls. I know, there's a bicycle shift lever on the left side. I was toying with the idea of a bar mounted choke cable, but then that would leave a big wierd hole on the left side panel where the factory choke knob resides:

Some other random (?) shots:

Carbs are done, just need to install and synch - sorry, no photos of those. Yet, anyway. Stay tuned.....

So what y'all think?

Comment

Freakin Killer!!

Even if you say the bodywork "looks like crap," lol.

Still looks Freakin Killer.

E

Comment

Kat

Smokin - looking sharp, great work!

The Gunmetal body work is the same color as the 92 GSX400S Katana! (Japan market only) Looks great!

The red frame looks like the limited production 87 GSX1100 SBE Katana! (Japan market only) Very nice!
                  Scott
                  1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                  1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                  1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                  2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks great. I wasn't sure about the red at first but seeing it like this it has turned out great.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Its Alive!

So today was the banner day - I started it up for the first time in approx. 2-1/2 years. I posted about the whole startup thing in another thread:

One of the transmission seals leaks - no big surprise to me as I thought it was suspect when I put it in:

I think I'll have my guy at work machine a plug with a groove for an o-ring in it to replace this crappy design. That should hold okay.

I took a video of the whole procedure, but as its not a digital camera I'm unable to post it for your viewing pleasure (?).

At any rate, success! Thanks again, GSR!

Comment

So my guy Dan at work came through for me again - Machined me up a plug to seal my leak in the tranny, right behind the front sprocket Many many thanks to Dan!

Minus O-ring:

O-ring installed:

Installed into the engine:

Went around the block a few times, she pulls hard but seems to bog down or lean out at 3500 rpm on up - need to fiddle a bit there.

Comment

Holy Bike-gasm Batman!

I am continually impressed by the work, and continually jealous!

Great Job!

Comment

Thanks Mac,

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was even watching anymore....
                            If it wasn't for my guy at work I'da been screwed many times over!

Gotta figger out what's going on with the fuel issues - Carbs are set up exactly like they were before it went under the blade; not quite sure where to start.....

Of course I put new o-rings in everywhere, did the carb clean according to the homepage guide.

Only thing different is the air filters. Previously had some K&N's on there, but they were looking pretty ratty so I just put some cheapy individuals that look virtually identical to the K&N's. Maybe that is contributing to the problem?

Comment

Thanks Mac,

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was even watching anymore....
                              If it wasn't for my guy at work I'da been screwed many times over!

Gotta figger out what's going on with the fuel issues - Carbs are set up exactly like they were before it went under the blade; not quite sure where to start.....

Of course I put new o-rings in everywhere, did the carb clean according to the homepage guide.

Only thing different is the air filters. Previously had some K&N's on there, but they were looking pretty ratty so I just put some cheapy individuals that look virtually identical to the K&N's. Maybe that is contributing to the problem?
                              That is a good place to start, the cheapy's don't flow the same as K&N's, so your settings will be quite different.

Maybe pop the K&N's back on, and take her for a run to see if it makes a difference. At least then you can either rule out the air flow, or confirm that that is where your problem lies.

Best of luck either way!

Comment

Put the old K&N's on yesterday, spun around the block a few times and seems to be a marked improvement. Who woulda thought it?

Now just need to get er registered so my plates are legal again, and off we go!

Comment

Working...
                                X