What paint gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What paint gun?

I've done the prep work on the tank and body parts and thinking of doing the top coat and the clear coat now. Have the decals/transfers as well.

I'm tossing the idea of buying a paint gun to get a nicer finish.

I'm wondering what sort of paint gun to buy. I'm not likely to use it very often but also want to stay away from poor quality products.

I've found what is called a "touch up" gun with 200ml can and 1.4mm nozzle, work pressure 45psi (not sure what this is in US measurements). Would that be suitable you think? I'd like to use a two-pack clear for a durable finish.

Any tips most appreciated.
    GS850GT

GS850GT

Comment

Well Ed will be along soon to offer an alternate opinion (he does use a touch up gun though), but I have been using this particular model from HF. I have 4 of them so I can cyle through if one starts to spurt. Proper cleaning is essential.

I think the specs are virtually what you quoted. I also mounted a quick release coupler and a guage at the end of the hose and no more pressure issues.

Results here.

P.S. one little tip I use is to wrap 2 flat rubber bands over the top of the cap (including the vent hole) so the top doesnt come off or drip out.
      Last edited by posplayr; 01-26-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

is the clear coat on those pics a two-part mix?

yeah, the gun is on the budget side and i'd be paying probably twice as much for the comparable product here... it doesnt specify the size of the nozzle though
        GS850GT

Comment

If you want the best, SATA.
          If you want a good gun for little money, DeVilbiss Finishline.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri View Post
            If you want the best, SATA.
            If you want a good gun for little money, DeVilbiss Finishline.
            I have one, but not a big enough compressor

Comment

Buy the best gun you can afford. Next to good prep, I consider the quality of the gun to be most important. You will not be sorry you spent extra on a higher end gun, but you will be sorry if you cheap out and don't like the results. Binks, DeVillbiss, Sata, 3M/Grecco are all good equipment. Eastwood sells gun kits for the home shop. Don't forget the local pawn shop for decent equipment.

Comment

I use an Iwata LPH 400 but its a $450 gun. It also lays clear out like glass. Its important to have a nice gun for clear so it flows out correctly without running or an orange peel effect. Think of it this way, if you mess up the clear, you will have to do it all over from scratch!...not fun.
                All I can say, buy a nice gun and practice! You will thank yourself in the end. Hope this helps.
                I also have DeVilbiss guns, for the money, they are nice too.

Comment

thanks guys

i've browsed those brands and i see that some guns are listed as suitable for automotive clearcoat and some don't specify this.
                  could someone explain me the difference or tell me what the minimum requirement is for a gun to handle the two-stage clearcoat?
                  GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                    thanks guys

i've browsed those brands and i see that some guns are listed as suitable for automotive clearcoat and some don't specify this.
                    could someone explain me the difference or tell me what the minimum requirement is for a gun to handle the two-stage clearcoat?
                    Two stage clear coat tends to be thick so you need a tip large enough to spray it - at least 1.0 for a touch up gun. Primers tend to be thick too so again, at least 1.0 for a small gun since the fan pattern is not so wide. Pros never use the same gun for primer and clear so if you get one of those budget guns, get two.

I have both a Sata Mini jet and a DeVilbiss suction feed spray gun and both work great. The gravity feed guns are nice since they waste less paint but I love that DeVilbiss gun too. I've never messed around with the super budget guns but I've heard lots of good things about the Astro brand of knock-off spray guns - they make a nice Sata copy that is reputed to work very nicely.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Touch Up Gun Tip sizes

Due to the internal workings of mini guns you have to convert the full size tip set into a minigun tip set. Meaning Miniguns operate with smaller tip sizes. i.e. if the paint manufacturer recommend as 1.4 HVLP gravity gun - I convert that into a 1.0 Mini gun and it will work properly. Primers often uses 1.7 to 1.8 HVLP which require a Mini tip size in the range of 1.4 to 1.5
                      Last edited by srsupertrap; 01-27-2010, 12:42 AM.
                      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

I have used the Campbell Hausfeld spray gun-you can get at Home Depot. And it lays clear nicely to the point I could get away with not cutting or polishing.

I also have used a Porter Cable mini gun to spray the color coats.

Hands down the more expensive guns will be better but if you just doing a daily driver and the odd jobs. Then the cheaper guns does not do a bad job.

Whatever gun you get, practice shooting with it on scrap pieces of metal or a junked tank

Here is a bike I did with the mentioned guns:

Here is a helmet:

This helmet was cleared with Nason 476 and was not cut or polished. The clear was shot with the CH gun with a 1.4 tip which to some people is to large. But I like it verse a 1.2 tip. If you are getting just one gun to shoot everything then make sure to get lacquer thinner to clean the gun thoroughly between the base coat and clear.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

This is not the one I used, but the easy of use is one of the main benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                            yeah, the gun is on the budget side and i'd be paying probably twice as much for the comparable product here... it doesnt specify the size of the nozzle though
                            Psyguy,

you haven't listed your air compressor spec's are and that "may" limit the gun choices that you will be able to use.

you "can" use a compressor that is a little to small in comparison to a guns air requirements. you just have to spray a bit, let the compressor recover it's pressure and continue on with your spraying. using a gun with an air requirement that's to big for the compressors output, may not be a problem with the small parts normally found on a motorcycle. but if you have plans for a bigger painting project in the future, that will be a problem. so be very careful when you select your guns, keeping in mind the size of the air compressor at hand.

based on my experience, I would recommend a tip size selection of 1.3-1.4mm for most home users.

I'll give my opinion on a low air requirement gun, that "should be" of good quality and a relatively low price in a few moments.

this one>>>> http://www.astrotools.com/viewprod.asp?id=173

or this mini gun>>>>> http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...-%20AP4020.htm P/n 4020-1 (1.0mm tip) P/n 4020-12 (1.2 mm tip)
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thanks guys for your input

good point about the compressor! i think i'll either hire one or buy second hand but make sure it's at least strong enough for the gun i'm going to get if not stronger.

with regards to guns, it seems that cheaper guns don't necesarily differ from the more expensive ones in specs, so i assume the difference would be mainly in the quality of the parts?

i'm thinking of buying a gun in the range of $100 or so and practice on some junk bits first before i decide to give it a go on the bike parts

any further tips welcome
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X