K saddlebags on an L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K saddlebags on an L

Has anyone installed the GK saddlebags onto an 1100GL?
    The search feature doesn't show any archived topics.

Should be possible, but you will need all the mounting brackets from the GK as well as the passenger footpeg mounts, as I think they are different from the GL and are a mount point for the bags. I had considered doing this myself until I started seeing the astronomical prices that factory GK bags in marginal condition, sometimes with no keys go for.

Best of luck. If you get it done, don't forget, we like pictures.

Comment

I used to have them on my "L" until I crashed it and destroyed the right side bag. Look at my sig pictures, you'll see them in the small picture lwer left.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I attached a pic.
        You're right about the foot peg mounts being different on the GL.
        It's pretty rigid without that contact point, but if needed I'll weld a couple of bolts onto the frame, or run an extension to the foot peg mount.
        I also needed to use a couple of flat steel extensions to reach the fender mounts.
        The fairing mounts came off a GK, which I prefered over the vetter mount that I had (that came off of a Honda 750, along with the pacifico fairing).
        Again, bolts needed to be welded to the frame to make this work.
        Fun little project for a 500 dollar bike that didn't run until Nov this year!

Comment

That's what I had to do to mount them up on mine. I made a flat bar extension for the bottom mounts and bolted them to the frame and they worked fine (until I crashed the bike).

Comment

Greetings All,

My winter project this year is making a GL/GK. So far I've mounted the trunk hardware and right side bag. More or less a mock up/dry fit if you will and so far so good, the only problem I've run into is That I need to lower the exhaust about an inch. My system is not stock to the bike and turns up a little. I think with a little fab work, it should be fine. I should say that my bike is a 850 GL, and the GK set up seem to be a little long, but not too long. I don't have any pictures yet, but when I get some I'll post them. Good luck with your project.

Andy
            1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
            1984 GS1100GK
            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
            1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
            1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Working...
            X