GS550 rear fender and seat mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 rear fender and seat mod

Well, my $500 '78 GS550 is in pretty good mechanical shape, after I rebuilt the brakes, steering head, forks and added new shocks, so I wanted to do something about the beat-up tailpiece and squashed-luggage seat. I picked up this Yamaha seat, GS550L rear fender and tiny taillight on eBay. It's now a little lighter and I think it looks better, but the passenger area of the seat is sloped forward a little too much, causing buttslide under braking. Maybe I'll get a different seat, or add a rack as a handhold.

Here's an other shot

Here's another shot from the rear quarter.

Comment

looks good

I've been thinking along the same lines. I thought of using a L rear fender on my 850 and doing a seat mod. The idea is to make T series GS from a model that Suzuki never made. I like the look of the chrome rear fender. I was thinking of using a Lucas style rear light. Will be watching your build. Keep up the good work.
      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Wow, that looks pretty dang good.
        I think I'd cut about 3/4's of that rear fender off and fab the tail light and plate bracket up a little closer to the seat. Plate would look better kinda facing towards the sky. Also the fenders need to be painted.
        Would also hack a little off the front fender on both ends.

Course, thats what *I* would do. Its your bike.
        Looks good!
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

fender mod

Looks almost like B.O.M. oct 2008 nice style

Comment

What kind of tail light is that?

Do you remember what that light was called. I was looking for one like that but I keep finding the LED ones. I don't feel like do that electric mod till maybe winter. But that would look cool with what I am doing.

Comment

I agree, but this is what I could do in an afternoon with all the existing bolt holes and parts, and the chrome on that fender was good, so I didn't want to paint it just yet. I could have slid the fender forward and use the rear bolt holes in the front mounts, to get a more bobbed look. Best thing would be to cut and weld the fender, and paint it black, maybe with a simple pin stripe. The taillight is an inexpensive eBay item. The light itself is plastic, although the license mount is steel. The license holes don't match American bike plates, either, so mine is attached with double-sided tape for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                Do you remember what that light was called. I was looking for one like that but I keep finding the LED ones. I don't feel like do that electric mod till maybe winter. But that would look cool with what I am doing.
                It was eBay item 170495120497, about $35 with shipping. Mounts with two bolts and has a foam cushion between the mount and the fender. It uses a small dual-filament automotive bulb. The usual large bulb would fit, but would probably melt the plastic housing. Also, the license bolt slots don't fit American plates, so you have to drill new ones or use double-sided adhesive pads to mount your plate.

Comment

Looking better....keep the fenders chrome! I had my seat re-shaped and covered by a local shop for $60.00. Same day service.

Comment

I really like it, gives me an idea of what to look for when I get up to replacing my rear mudguard as I don't like the plastic one from the E and the bottom of mine has been cracked also.

As Maddog said, reshaping that seat would solve your problem and still look good. Maybe consider a strap the pillion can hang on to also.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X