Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
    GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ Dale!! WTH?
    'Tiz what happens when you leave children 'unsupervised' around a sawsall!
    Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 11-11-2010, 09:25 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I swear to all the members that the fairing was in one piece when it left my storage unit!! Matchless will be a fibergalss repair expert once he gets that put back together!! LMAO.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Matchless..PM sent. I told Dale that i have the radio for that fairing as well..He said it would add a lot of weight and cost, but if you want it i am sure theres a way to figure out nhow to get it to you.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Matchless..PM sent. I told Dale that i have the radio for that fairing as well..He said it would add a lot of weight and cost, but if you want it i am sure theres a way to figure out nhow to get it to you.

Thanks Chuck. The reply is in your inbox!
          That radio is part of the image of that fairing and its a real "must have". Dale is sending me a USA or State flag as well so it is going to be well labeled as to its country of origin! I can promise you its going to grab some attention over here.
          Its been a long time since I have been so impatient to see something!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            Good pictures! I am still trying to locate a radio pod, did you make the speaker panels on the cubby holes?
            Thanks and nice bike!
            I have an extra plastic Cyclesound housing (and probably some Vindicator speaker grills - they were an alternative grill for the cyclesounds). It doesn't include the "flip-up" cover like the one in my pics (those are VERY hard to come by), but I suspect you could fashion a decent replacement with some creative fab work. Also, you'd have to provide your own mounting hardware.

Still, if you're interested we could try to figure out whether it's worth the shipping costs from here to there... PM me if you want to know more.

Regards,

Comment

Steve, I have the two upper mounting brackets and will be including then with the shipment.

not to be greedy, but do you also have a spare radio antenna?

Comment

This is some project.

Never seen it done before. Where did the idea(s) come from? What is it going on? OH...SO many questions.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Steve, I have the two upper mounting brackets and will be including then with the shipment.

not to be greedy, but do you also have a spare radio antenna?
                  Actually I think I also have those brackets, and several others that I wasn't going to mention, because they were included for a "free standing" (no fairing) setup. They don't really apply in this instance, and would only add unnecessary weight.

Regarding the antenna, I don't have a spare and didn't even have an original. The one on my bike (which pretty much looks just like the OEM) was purchased from Radio Shack. I believe it is a marine spec unit (doesn't require grounding to a body panel). I don't know if they still sell them, but if they do I could certainly pick one up and send to S. Africa (as could you, Dale)... Whatever works, either way.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    This is some project.

Never seen it done before. Where did the idea(s) come from? What is it going on? OH...SO many questions.
                    It may be a first! It was inspired by the monstrous shipping charges from the USA to South Africa for a complete unit and its going on a GS1000G. There are still a lot of what ifs. Practically it has already been dissected, theoretically it can be reassembled again. Once its here I may post pictures as the project runs. I know its going to be a challenge, but an enjoyable one at that.

Once it arrives the project is in its 3rd phase! (1st- dissection. 2nd - shipping economically)

Comment

Thanks Steve. let me know what you and Andre work out.

I still have one lower which, more than likely, will have to be shipped when the 9 pin wiring harness arrives.

It may be a first!
                      Yep! pretty sure it is a first!
                      Last edited by rustybronco; 11-11-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        Thanks Steve. let me know what you and Andre work out.

I still have one lower which, more than likely, will have to be shipped when the 9 pin wiring harness arrives.
                        If Andre decides on my housing it might make sense to consider shipping our stuff together to him... We can look into that possibility if/when he decides what he wants to do.

Regards,

Comment

Good pictures! I am still trying to locate a radio pod, did you make the speaker panels on the cubby holes?
                          Thanks and nice bike!
                          Yep. Formed them from 16 gauge sheet steel and covered with marine grade black vinyl. Painted the underside gloss black.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            Yep. Formed them from 16 gauge sheet steel and covered with marine grade black vinyl. Painted the underside gloss black.
                            He's too humble ... it was a terrific job that has to be seen to be appreciated - Here's the link he SHOULD have included, hehe!

ddaniels' Awesome upgrade

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                              He's too humble ... it was a terrific job that has to be seen to be appreciated - Here's the link he SHOULD have included, hehe!

ddaniels' Awesome upgrade

Regards,
                              That's very nice I must say and a very good idea!

Comment

That's very nice I must say and a very good idea!
                                By the way ... One option if you wanted to avoid the vinyl covering would be to use a spray truck bed coating. This would accomplish several things:

1. It is possible to get various texture effects depending on how you use the spray, so with a little practice you could match the fairing texture pretty closely.

2. It might provide better sound deadening (enhancing the sound) than simply covering the steel with marine vinyl.

3. It might do a better job of hiding the rivet marks where the brackets are attached to hold the new cover to the fairing.

4. It should provide better rust protection than simply covering the steel with marine vinyl, though realistically it probably wouldn't matter much since the steel won't be visible.

Just a thought I meant to share with Dave originally...

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X