Winter mods...Want opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter mods...Want opinions.

Winter is here and things have slowed enough for me to finally get back into the shop. Picked up a powder coater yesterday so I am ready to start modding this bike! All mods must be removable so origninal bike can be reassembled.

Plans are:

Remove rear inner fender. Integrated tagbracket/stop/turn assembly going where tail light was. Going for the sleek smooth look.

Powder coat wheels. Red is my first choice then Black with a gunmetal grey lip?

Change front light to the SV650 quarter fairing setup.

Recoat headers. Black or silver? Thinking of black.

Repowder coat the engine sidecovers black.

New risers to get closer to the front and SV650 rear sets to get further back and remove stock passenger pegs.

So...Red wheels, Red quarter fairing, sleeker tail section, black headers.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2010, 03:22 PM.

This is the front fairing and lightsetup.

Comment

Do whatever flicks your Bic...it's YOUR bike.

Comment

The color scheme for the wheels is what I am having trouble visualizing...

Comment

On a side note, What are the front forks from? Looks like R1 or Triumph. How long were they?

Good start,

With respect to your current set up I'd like to see the brake line come down above the lower triple tree and behind the forks as opposed to outside, would look cleaner. I'd also like to see the headlight slide up a little closer to the instruments however that issue goes away with your fairing concept. Keep the pics coming, I'm interested. Are there issues with getting the front fender mounted?

Comment

How about a front fender? I like it as it sits.Like you said,as long as it can be put back no harm done,and it's yours.I'm a little late on the fender thing
            81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

A front fender is on the way. Front is from a 2008 gsxr. The risers on it now were dirt cheap just to get me riding this past summer. Going to get them down and closer to the front. Looking at some F Z1 bars. After visiting the motor cycle shop yesterday, I believe I would have a hard time matching the red for the wheels. Everything in the store that had colored wheels had an anodized look instead of a solid color. I believe I will go that route to make it look more modern.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Upgraded shocks?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I really want some Ohlins, but that will probably be next winters project. The current setup handles like a dream. I really want a single side swingarm, but that is deffinitely another winters project. That would probably take the bike to the point of no return.

Islo Of Man, I see what you say about the brake line. Never really noticed it till you pointed it out in the pic. That is easy enough though.

The front forks are 2008 GSXR 750 pieces. I can look up the length if you are interested. I do remember they were the longest of the GXSR series which surprised me as I was sure the 1000 would be longer.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the forks, I can check it out. I thought all the modern GSXR stuff was inches shorter than the 93-95 GSXR1100 forks. Nice to get the radial brakes with the deal. I assume you've had no issues with scraping your header. If that's true then they seem like a great option. Were they a simple bolt on as far as steering stem went?

Used FZ1 handle bars come up quite often on the FZ1OA site for $20 or so. Part Shark probably has best prices for new ones.

Comment

If memory serves me right, they are shorter than the gen 1 GSXR stuff. I pulled them down in the trees some as well. I used the conversion bearings from All Balls and had to weld on new stops, but that was it. Very easy. On speedbreaks etc I do scrape my headers but have yet to scrape them during normal riding. I did weld a flat plate of 16 ga steel along the bottom for protection. The 750 were the longest forks of the late model stuff and came with the stiffest springs according to all the comparison charts I have saw. I was really concerned about them being shorter, but by the time I did the rear tire and dropped the forks into the tube some It worked great. Got the rake and trail exactly where I wanted it and it handles awesome.

I did modify the top tripple to get it to set further down on the stem to gain some more drop their as well. I have pics if you want them. I did a write up on here as well. They should be in it as well.

If you need any measurements, be glad to help anyone out.
                      Ken

Comment

This is what I settled on for my wheel color scheme. This is my front, now I got to do the rotors, maybe calipers and then on to the rear.

Comment

Nice! Want to do a set of rims for me?
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post

This is what I settled on for my wheel color scheme. This is my front, now I got to do the rotors, maybe calipers and then on to the rear.

that turned out real nice. I take it youve been in the powder coating scene a good bit?

Comment

That was my first big item. Not ready to do other peoples stuff right now. Still learning right now. Big learning curve on the powders! Mistakes are a bear to correct after curing!
                              Rear wheel and side covers are next.

Comment

Working...
                              X