Paint work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint work

Hi guys - I still haven't had any luck in finding a set of red sidecovers for my '83 GS1100ED, so can anybody recommend somebody who could paint a set of NOS (Black) sidecovers to the correct shade of Suzuki Red ?

Why not do it yourself?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Because a man has to know his limitations - my body/paint skills are very questionable

Comment

True. I can say though mine were/are non-existent and my bike turned out okay for now.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hey Montanaman, I'm with Scott on this one, give it a whirl, you may surprise yourself.
          Think about it, unless you are building a show quality bike that requires the deepest lusture, it needs to be good, not perfect, and what is the worst that can happen, you don't like it and the paint guy redoes it for you, it's not like you are risking your side covers.
          Otherwise you can get Dan to do them, but that will lead to a whole bunch of other strife in your life.
          Because when you get them back, you are going to want him to do the rest of the bike.

Comment

Just ride your bike to an auto paint store, let them match the color, and they will mix it up for you. They will give you a 12 oz. rattlecan of paint for maybe $11.99 each. I think you'd need only one, maybe two cans for both side covers. Don't forget primer and clear coat. Sandpaper too. What about decals? Do you have those as well? If not, get them from here.

Painting is all about prep. Take your time doing it.

But if you really don't want to do it yourself, you might want to contact nvr2old.

Here's red side covers on eBay.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2011, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys - I may go over to the paint store tomorrow and see what they say

Comment

I agree with Flaming Chainsaws, however if they can't match it, may I suggest a real nice red color, it's called Regal Red. It looks real sweet on suzuki's.

Comment

Remember...It's the preparation that MAKES a paint job!
                  http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                  1978 GS1000C
                  1979 GS1000E
                  1980 GS1000E
                  2004 Roadstar

Comment

Five-gallon bucket of water and plenty of wet/dry sandpaper (600 grit?) to shed the old paint.

Prime.

Paint.

Clear coat.

You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Remember...It's the preparation that MAKES a paint job!
                      True that, I've painted some things on my bike, and painted my 18ft ski boat in and out (which took a exhausting 4 days sunrise to sunset). It just takes time. Preparation should take you at least 50% of the total time it takes to actually paint!
                      Heres a picture of how my boat turned out just for grins!
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                        Five-gallon bucket of water and plenty of wet/dry sandpaper (600 grit?) to shed the old paint.

Prime.

Paint.

Clear coat.

You'll be fine.
                        *1 on that. I just painted my whole bike and it came out better than I could've ever hoped. Theres a really good guide to follow on this site too if you need help. One thing I would recommend is to use a good clear. I tried the rustoleum auto clear and it is not very durable. And if any gas touches it, it disintegrates. I had to redo mine and used SprayMax 2k. It looks like a shop sprayed it! If you use it though make sure you are in a well ventilated area, it's extremely bad to breath.

Comment

You guys convinces me - I took off the rear cowling, took it over to NCS, they matched it and put it in a spray can, and I'm getting their primer and clear coat too - these are the guys who supply the body shops, so I kmow if it fails it's me to blame, not the product

Comment

Make sure you wash them well, rinse twice as well, dry, degrease them 'properly' and above all after you are finished with all the above, NO touchey before you paint them!!!!!
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

And we are going to want before and after pictures!
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X