Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS1100e square headlight conversion to round light

Hello all,

I'd like to eliminate the 'box' behind the headlight on my '81 GS1100e and convert the headlight to a round light.

Has any member done this conversion sucessfully or is this just asking for a lot of problems? For example; with the 'box' removed for a round headlight would this require some kind of fabbed cover for the back of the instrument cluster to seal it against the weather?

Thanks,

Tim

I used to own an '81 GS750E which was given to me in nonrunning condition in exchange for doing some flooring work for a friend. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home:

And here's how it looked when I sold it:

I didn't do anything to the gauge housing, and it worked just fine. If it really bothers you, I suppose you could fab up a plastic cover out of some cuttable plastic, like a milk jug, and paint it black and insert it up under the back cover. I thought about doing it, but never bothered with it.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Oh the humanity!!! Why be just another round lighter when you can be one of the few, the proud, a block-head. The square headlight makes your bike unlike most of the others out on the road, embrace your inner block-head

Comment

I actually didn't mind the square headlight, in and of itself. The early GPZs and some KZs had square headlights, and looked ok.

It's the darned housing around it on the GS1100/750 that I couldn't stand.

I've often wondered why Suzuki sacrificed thousands of good lunchboxes to mount headlights in them.......
        Last edited by Griffin; 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Its hip to be square

Comment

It ain't square, folk. It's rectangular. Jeez.
            Just funnin'; my GPz has a rectangular headlight also.
            And it looks a lot more than O.K., it is just as classic as my GS.

Comment

I think the lunch box gives it a more refined, finished off look.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

"embrace your inner block-head..."

Wow,

I guess I didn't expect any defense of the 'box' much less a poetic one.

I liked the looks of the original GS bikes. Simple, balanced with unintegrated (if that is a word) body parts. Later GS bikes with the flowing integrated body work seemed less inspired.

However, the bike is thirty years old and might deserve to be left the way it was designed. (mostly, I already installed air filter pods and added a pipe)

I also have a 2001 green ZRX and thought about changing the somewhat silly square headlight and fairing. But a ZRX is what it is and I left it the way it is. Many would consider the entire ZRX a silly bike, but I just like big engine standard riding position motorcycles.

Some bikes deserve to have some cosmetic items left as they are. I guess I'm just not sure the GS 'lunch box' qualifies as one of those items.

Thanks all for the excellent pictures and advice. It doesn't seem like the round light swap is going to be that difficult or cause a lot of problems. If I do this conversion I'll post some pics.

I finally got the fork brace in so I need to post some pics of the completed/updated bike anyway.

Thanks again,

Tim

...my inner block-head... killin me

Comment

Try to look at it for what it is and not what you think it needs to be - it might grow in you. They're cold in the center rare around here, I think, as I haven't seen one in ages.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Dunno if ours are interchangeable but I'd be willing to trade I want a square light, and you want a circle!! Haha I have a 79' gs1000

Comment

I have a 1980 GS1100E, with the block head in front. Changing it was a first thing I wanted to do, but I've waited...and now I kinda like it. Give it a chance buddy.

Comment

I'm indifferent between the two. I used to like only the round lights but the square headlight is unique. As a side note, anyone installing the square light where a round one existed will need to acquire the brackets that attach the box to the fork, and that requires pulling the top tripple clamp. Also, be aware that the brackets are different based on the model, depending on whether the forks had single air valves on top or the side air fill like on the GS1100e Anyway, something to think about.

Comment

I wouldn't think of taking the lunchbox off of my '81. It came that way, and it should stay original.

Comment

Good advice from a good forum on my 'inner block-head'

I admit, I found my 'inner block-head' and have had a change of heart.

I'll leave it for now and see if it grows on me - although I'm not sure I want something that goofy looking growing anywhere on me...

Thanks for all the relevant, enlightening and entertaining input; this really is a good forum.

T

ps - as soon as I get back I'll install the fork brace and post a few pictures. Then all that's left is to ride the poo out of it...

Comment

the tank ,side panels ,tail piece ,clocks and headlight are what make this an iconic machine......round lights on square angular bikes dont really fit right in my opinion and i think the bodywork on thse just works...it is what it is and is recognised by these features

awesomeness........

Comment

Working...
                              X