Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat (?) or gel coat (?) flaking off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear coat (?) or gel coat (?) flaking off.

Not sure just how these things are made, but I have a couple of places on the top of my GK trunk that are flaking.
    It's not down into the black, whether that's paint, plastic or whatever, it's just a clear coating on the top.

Is this something that can have the edges sanded smooth and re-sprayed?

What grit to use for sanding and what recommendations for the spray?

I can get pictures by tomorrow, probably, if necessary.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I can get pictures by tomorrow, probably, if necessary.
    Steve, off hand, if the clear is flaking off you're going to have to sand it down to good solid material, then re-base and clear it. but, let's have a look at those pictures first.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Gas had ruined the cheap clear on my tank. So I wet sanded the clear off with 1000grit and re-sprayed with spraymax 2k. It looks bootyful and has held up so far.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        ..., let's have a look at those pictures first.
        It was raining here most of the day, didn't get a chance to ride to work.

It was clear this afternoon, but I was helping a friend with his V-strom.

Clear tomorrow, so the bike will be out. Pictures are forthcoming.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Personally, I'm convinced that Suzuki had a problem with their clear coat on the GK model and this confirms my belief. I was amazed that the clearcoat on the luggage and tail section of my GK "broke up" like an old decal after getting soaked by rain while trailering it home. I could literally slide stamp-sized pieces of clearcoat around on the tail section while it was wet. The only bright side to the experience was that it forced me to do a custom paint job on the entire bike.
          FWIW, I sanded and then used a sealer-filler to prevent any problems with the final paint job. I also applied alot of clear to the finished job. Good luck with whats ahead.
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

OK here are the pictures:

Overall view, showing the flaking on both corners.

Close-up of the left corner.

It is also happening on the top corner of the right saddlebag.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve the clear is delaminating from the base coat. You might be able to sand down the clear on the upper part of the trunk, near the back rest, then scuff the base, backtape just above the curve and shoot clear on it. same goes for the small area on the trunk next to it.

for what I see, the saddlebag would require you to completely sand the top, re-base coat it and clear it as the delamination covers quite a large area.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of.

Might just have to live with it for a while, until I can get the whole bike re-done PROPERLY.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve, you could always try to repair the clear on the trunk first. repairing that area first might give you an idea of the 'techniques' needed to repair the saddlebag. techniques like back taping on a curved edge to hide the blend, spraying through a 'cutout' in a piece card stock which, when held above the surface, allows the clear to only cover the area you are trying to repair.

Comment

It's not that the clear coat is cheap, it's that it is old. Clear coat technology didn't really come into its own until the late 90's. GM, Chrysler, Ford all have had major clear coat problems in the 80's and 90's.

I would use 1000 grit paper and sand the box wet. In the water you use to wet your paper, put a little dish soap in it. It works like a lubricant and you will be able to sand through the clear without biting into the base. Reshoot the clear then sand the imperfections out with 1500 grit and polish it back up with a Meguires or 3m system. It will look like new.

Comment

Calloway, I'm not a painter by any stretch of the imagination. but, my 82 G's tank is doing the same thing Steve's bodywork is doing. the clear has come un-bonded from the base coat. if you don't scuff the base coat or chemically sand the base coat before clearing it, you are asking for trouble.

as always, this is just my un-professional .02

Comment

All good food for though, thanks, guys.

I will see how much time I have available next month when I get home.

The first week will be getting two or three bikes ready for the Triple Nickel Ride on the 17th and 18th.
                        The second week will be taking care of some house-related stuff, like changing some plumbing in the front bathroom.
                        After that gets done, I'll see about some aesthic stuff on the playtoys.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Yes, they are all flaking regardless of the color.
                          Suzuki surely put a new "type" of paint on these, my 78 was more brownish than marron when i go it but the paint was still "nice".
                          My 82 1100g was like that too(flaking).
                          Marc
                          https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
                          1978 GS1000C X2
                          1978 GS1000E X2
                          1979 GS1000S
                          1979 gs1000
                          1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            Calloway, I'm not a painter by any stretch of the imagination. but, my 82 G's tank is doing the same thing Steve's bodywork is doing. the clear has come un-bonded from the base coat. if you don't scuff the base coat or chemically sand the base coat before clearing it, you are asking for trouble.

as always, this is just my un-professional .02

Fair enough but when you sand it with 1000grit paper you are taking off the clear coat and biting into the base without using a grit harsh enough to go through both.

If you want a truly pro job you have to start over again totally.

Comment

Originally posted by Calliway View Post
                              If you want a truly pro job you have to start over again totally.
                              I just keep reminding myself: "Pro" does not mean they are good at it, it only means they get paid for it.

It's not going to be a show bike, I just want it to look decent.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X