Caliper paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper paint

I cleaned and painted one of the front calipers on my S. Quality is ok, but the sheen just doesn't look right.

The paint I used was Duplicolor caliper paint. Anyone use something different that matches the original look a little closer?
    Last edited by Vmass; 10-30-2011, 08:22 AM.

I've had problems with that stuff as well. Sometimes it will come out glossy and nice looking, sometimes it's flat. It really depends on how well the can is shaken before spraying, as it gets noticeably flatter the longer you paint between shakes.

I've gotten much more consistent results with Rustoleum caliper paint. It is a little bit shinier than stock, but at least you can get all three calipers to look identical.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

paint

the stuff with ceramic works great if preped properly

Comment

VHT makes a very good brake caliper paint too. Seems like many here use it with good results.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

VHT High Temperature Caliper paint

VHT Satin black will give factory finish results if you do the prep and follow the instructions.

Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
          1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
          1977 GS400
          1974 Montesa 250
          1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

+1 to the VHT brand.
            As far as matching OEM sheen goes, I have no idea... mine were the color of chalk.

Comment

I used the vht caliper paint on the wheels on my gsxr easy to work with and great results. plan on using it on my gsx7/11 restomod as well the satin black is very close to original finish
              Last edited by akckhim; 10-31-2011, 02:05 PM.
              sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
              1994 gsxr1100w
              1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

I just used rustoleum High temp Engine paint, most of them are Gloss.
                And it's much cheaper around here.

Just shook it up real quick and didn't have any Gloss consistency problems.

Comment

I refurbished a Fr Br caliper & painted it w DupliColor caliper paint, then baked the parts in the oven to cure. works well. The paint has held up well, except around the bleeder nipple.... brake fluid will eat it. The pic makes it look glossier than it really is, but it is glossy. For other parts I've used the DupliColor engine enamel w ceramic & bake them in the oven as well.

Spray painting. I usually shoot a couple of light coats, then med coats, then 1 or 2 wet coats.
                  If you keep your arm moving & always spray beyond the part, runs shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

The factory caliper finish on my 1982 GSX was satin black. I have been looking at the options to recoat my calipers after I rebuild them with new pistons and seals and Iam going to have them powdercoated. If I dismantle, clean and prep the calipers the cost is AUD $55 for the three calipers and the torque-arm if I wait for them to be done when the Powdercoaters are doing a run in satin black. The finish will look good, be immune to brake fluid, last longer that paint, resistant to chips compared to paint and best of all to have them powdercoated will cost not much more than two rattle cans of quality caliper paint.

Could be an option for you to look at powdercoating, cheers.
                    Shin-Ken 1074
                    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Working...
                    X