No announcement yet.

Anyone made their own 'soda blaster'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is the cover lacquered....it looks really good in the flesh....I think I will just try the chrome paint on the breather cover and see what happens.....I am looking at blacking the engine soon and with the cam cover looking so good I might do the engine satin black and have the covers gloss black like the cam cover.

RB

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbraes View Post
      I also used about 6 or 7 kgs of soda just to do the cover so I think I have some fine tuning to do...lol
      Is your soda blaster capable of being converted to use glass beads as the blasting media? If it can be, that and some sort of media containment device (think plastic rubbish container with a plexiglass window), would go a long ways to lowering your material usage.

Oh... and that's one nice looking cam cover!
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Unfortunately soda is a one time use only blast media. It isn't hard (like grit) but cleans as it 'explodes' on the surface being blasted. You can't reuse it.

Easiest is to use it outside on the driveway or wherever and wash the mess away with a hose. A particle mask will be fine for H&S and the stuff makes my head itch like mad so I wear a hat.

Don't be tempted to use grit or beads or the like on your engine. The stuff will get in and you'll be boogered. Though the guys at Redditch claim they can blast an engine safely:

For all your shot blasting and powder coating needs – finishes that are second to none

By the way, where did you get the blast pot and the soda from and what compressor are you using?
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I think I just need to set the unit up and get some practice in to get the usage down, the book says with a 2mm nozzle (like the one I was using) it should use 20 to 30lbs/hr (approx 10 to 15 kg). I was using it for about 15 minutes but I think the air volume I was using was to high. My compressor is running at about 115psig, I need to regulate this down to 80psig for the blaster. I am also looking at building a cabinet out of wood (probably marine ply) out the back, just like a big blasting cabinet with holes for gloves.....I am pretty sure I will find other garden type things to store in it when it is not being used..lol This will allow me to contain the soda and I can sweep it out and then dump it, it will also be good for sand blasting small parts too. The guys at the recycling centre have no problems taking the waste so all is well there too

RB

Comment

just a quick post about the chrome paint.......I followed thge instructions to the point and it looks like...well.....it is so good I will be blasting it in the morning...I don't even want to take a photo to be honest..lol (I will before I strip it)....all I can think is the spray nozzle on the can was goosed...it came out in lumps instead of a very fine mist......thank goodness I only went for the breather cover and not the whole cam cover....

RB

Comment

Working...
            X