bad paint on my carbs. What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad paint on my carbs. What happened?

I painted my carb tops & float bowls with VHT caliper paint then baked them according to the can directions. I used this paint because baking makes the paint gas resistant & I wanted the added protection. But when I put the new stainless hex screws w/washers back in, the paint chips. It has ruined my beautiful paintwork.

After I strip them again, can I use regular paint then use VHT clear coat caliper paint then bake it or would you recommend something else? I need the paint to be hard but not chip when I put the screws back in.

80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Try using a flat washer on you screws
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

polish them they will look better

Comment

Flat washers are the key as hjfisk stated. No paint is hard enough to withstand someone torquing a screw against it. Well, at least none that us mortals can get our hands on.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Use a nylon or Delrin washer if you can find them. It'll flex when you torque the bolts down and not chip the paint.

The caliper paints and engine paints are the same thing. Good up to 500F and has *resistant* (it will stain when exposed to gas, but it won't peel unless you leave it on there for a good while. It's not gas proof.) Most of those engine and caliper paints contain ceramic bases, which makes them heat resistant and hard but the side effect is they become brittle. The paint won't "flex" like regular spray paint.

Comment

if you need to strip and start again try PJ-1...it comes in satin and gloss....I have had lots of success with this stuff... damned need indestructible....

RB
            Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

I know you said you baked them after you painted them.....not sure if this makes a difference or not, but how long did you let them cure for, most paints have a 7 day curing period at minimum, again I don't really know if this will help or not.....probably not, as someone suggested the paints we get out of a spray can are not as good as what the manufacturer uses......

best you can do, is put the screws in and just touch up the spots that end up cracking, or have the screws in place while painting, so as not to have paint in that area, and once you put it all back together, there is no paint to crack...

Comment

Etch and Alodine then prime the part before painting. Much better adhesion.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Use a nylon or Delrin washer if you can find them. It'll flex when you torque the bolts down and not chip the paint.

The caliper paints and engine paints are the same thing. Good up to 500F and has *resistant* (it will stain when exposed to gas, but it won't peel unless you leave it on there for a good while. It's not gas proof.) Most of those engine and caliper paints contain ceramic bases, which makes them heat resistant and hard but the side effect is they become brittle. The paint won't "flex" like regular spray paint.

Any idea where to get them? Fastenal can't help me.
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                    Any idea where to get them? Fastenal can't help me.
                    Serious? Even my local crappy hardware store has a bin of nylon/plastic washers...
                    Home Depot? Lowes? Something like that maybe.

Comment

Dude, I'm in Canada. Trust me, it ain't the same

Comment

home depot should have some, check where the nuts/bolts are, if not there, head over to where the handles and such are for your kitchen cabinets, you will find all sorts of plastic washers there....

I will be in Home Depot probably tonight, I will take a look and if I find them get you the part/SKU number

Comment

Drive 100 Km's west to Port Huron. There's both a Homie Depot and a Lowes.

PM Renobruce and see if he uses an etching primer underneath the VHT caliper paint, or if the washers are good enough to keep the paint from cracking.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Get some nuts for the bolts and put them in and then paint and bake..remove the nuts and bolts and all else should remain on the cover unscaved.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Found them

Well I went to my local Home Depot and found the nylon washers, I think you could use, check your store, they must have them as well, even rubber ones...

Hope this helps you out, I even got in chit for taking pictures, by one of the staff, he just wanted to make sure I was not the competition and I wasn't taking pics of the Cashiers area where the vault is....LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X