Paints for bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paints for bikes

So what's everyone using for paint on bikes these days? I've not painted for many a year, and last time was enamel with hardener. I'm hoping to move away from isocyanates though, as I've gotten a bit sensitive to that component.

I need to paint my bike this spring. Hoping to make it on power tour and need to get moving on it.

Open to suggestions. I have an HVLP gun.

Well being a basically cheap bastard, I have taken to using spray bombs for base coats and 2 part urethane clears. Faster and cheaper. I like to keep it simple in basic colours, white, black, dark grey, silver, blue etc. No fancy graphics and just vinyl decals for signage.

My last project, the Kat resto I painted, clearcoated and signed for about $40 all in I figured.

Prior to that I had used 2 part urethane base in high gloss so as to skip the clear. 2 part is not super cheap but for $100 or so ( quart of base & clear, thiners and hardners) you can usually cover at least 2 bikes.

You definitely need to 2 part clear to be gas resistant so bear that in mind.

Good luck with it.

spyug

Comment

Urethane paints are tough as nails and last much longer before fading than any enamel.
      Yes, you will be using a hardener with it.

Eric

Comment

Urethane...

If you are sensitive to iso's, realistically your only choices are a full suit with and external air source.

Have you sprayed with your HVLP before?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          Well being a basically cheap bastard, I have taken to using spray bombs for base coats and 2 part urethane clears. Faster and cheaper. I like to keep it simple in basic colours, white, black, dark grey, silver, blue etc. No fancy graphics and just vinyl decals for signage.

My last project, the Kat resto I painted, clearcoated and signed for about $40 all in I figured.

Prior to that I had used 2 part urethane base in high gloss so as to skip the clear. 2 part is not super cheap but for $100 or so ( quart of base & clear, thiners and hardners) you can usually cover at least 2 bikes.

You definitely need to 2 part clear to be gas resistant so bear that in mind.

Good luck with it.

spyug

Buddy, friend, neighbour, brother, compadre,

I am bringing you my tins to be done, I pay 60 bucks cash, and maybe a few beers, while I wait for the parts to be done....

Sound fair.....?

I will do all the prep work, you want bare metal, or primed ?

Please let me know....

Cheers.............................

Comment

Yes, I've sprayed with HVLP before. I've been avoiding hardeners. Sounds like I need to buck up for a suit. I already have the supplied air respirator.

Comment

Iso-free 2k does exist, but its never as good as the real thing. Stay away from acrylic lacquer, any gas (or petrol as we call it here in aus) spilt will ruin the finish. Having said that, acrylic is a ton easier to get mirror flat and super glossy, and its alot easier to fix if you make a mistake.

Comment

When I had my bike painted for the first time, it was painted with one of Duponts Enamel's ( bright ford orange as you can see in the pic) and cleared coated about 6 times. This was done around 1981 amazing how long this paint has lasted though is seriously showing its age now. It is time for a repaint and want to go back to the same color though I don't believe its available from Dupont any longer...I would like to have pretty much the same color for the new paint.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

MrBill5491,
                  Some years back, I did several custom VW's. I used paint from the PPG Fleet Catalog. Had a lot of good colors. They may may not do that anymore but worth checking.
                  ndaugbjerg

Comment

If a quality job is important to you use urethane and protect yourself as required. Painting is a lot of work and urethane is the most durable paint available, so it's worth the hassles in my opinion.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nobody using cellulose?
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

HH, not very much over here in the States.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Cellulose is banned over here with one exception - to use in the restoration of old motor vehicles (well that's the law as I understand it).

I was brought up on the stuff and never had to use any of this 'you will die if you even sniff it isocyanate' (I know you don't but when it came out over here everyone knew somebody who had died using it - either that or their todger had fallen off).

I'm the world's slowest and worst painter but it works for me.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I know iso doesn't kill you unless you get a big dose. There's anecdotal stories floating around about the idiot who sprayed isos in a closed room with no ventilation or mask and died. I don't know how true they are.

Better to be cautious than maimed.

Comment

i like to use dupont excel easy to use and i have a mixxing bank i can use to make any color and for the cear coat ppg aerospace is the best ive found its tuff as nails and chemical resitant

Comment

Working...
                              X