When it works, it's a blast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it works, it's a blast!

Thought about a DIY blaster to use on my GS450. Ended up with the $34.95 blaster from Harbor Freight. Also bought 50# of soda for $33.95 while I was there. I've used sand before but never soda. At the rate I was using the soda it was going to get expensive although it's great around rubber, plastic, wiring etc. I then stumbled on to a post on some site extolling the merits of coal slag (boiler slag). Tractor Supply Co. is in 40+ states and they carry the slag in 50# bags for $7.99 and you can recycle it 3-4 times and there is no silica or dust. I was using it in the driveway and have swept it up in a pile. I plan to pick it up with my shop vac and screen it into to a bucket. My 450 had apparently been ridden for many years w/o a chain guard. The chain lube and crud was 1/4" thick on the swing arm. I took the worst off with a putty knife. Then I turned on my compressor and grabbed the blaster gun. In minutes I was down to white metal. Wow! Now I'm going the throw on a couple of coats of primer; the second, a filler to smooth the surface left by the slag and then it will be time for paint. I've never seen anything work faster, cheaper or better. I'll photo the process and when I figure out how to load the pictures I'll share them. Damn, it's fun to find something that works!
    ndaugbjerg

Originally posted by ndaugbjerg View Post
    Thought about a DIY blaster to use on my GS450. Ended up with the $34.95 blaster from Harbor Freight. Also bought 50# of soda for $33.95 while I was there. I've used sand before but never soda. At the rate I was using the soda it was going to get expensive although it's great around rubber, plastic, wiring etc. I then stumbled on to a post on some site extolling the merits of coal slag (boiler slag). Tractor Supply Co. is in 40+ states and they carry the slag in 50# bags for $7.99 and you can recycle it 3-4 times and there is no silica or dust. I was using it in the driveway and have swept it up in a pile. I plan to pick it up with my shop vac and screen it into to a bucket. My 450 had apparently been ridden for many years w/o a chain guard. The chain lube and crud was 1/4" thick on the swing arm. I took the worst off with a putty knife. Then I turned on my compressor and grabbed the blaster gun. In minutes I was down to white metal. Wow! Now I'm going the throw on a couple of coats of primer; the second, a filler to smooth the surface left by the slag and then it will be time for paint. I've never seen anything work faster, cheaper or better. I'll photo the process and when I figure out how to load the pictures I'll share them. Damn, it's fun to find something that works!
    ndaugbjerg
    In my opinion, black diamond coal slag works well enough. Mind you, not as well as silica sand does, but you are right, there is little silica in it and it's very cheap.

I used it on my GS1000E frame. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...39#post1455039
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

RustyBronco,
      I agree. One thing I intended to mention was that I found a lot of sites selling the slag in 80# bags for $25 to $40 a bag. I suspect that most members are in reach of a Tractor Supply store.
      ndaugbjerg

Comment

Working...
      X