What would my seat have looked like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would my seat have looked like?

My stock '78 GS750. From what I can tell...its just a GS750. No letter after. One front brake disc and spoke wheels. I got so ripped off on this bike and I am kind of bitter. The main thing I want to do is get rid of the crap the PO put on it and bring it back to its original appearance.
    I have done a Google search and was wondering if someone could send me a good picture of what the seat would have been. I need to re-do the seat and want to bring a good picture to the upholstery dude. I think I am also going to take off the front fairing.
    Would this be the correct cover?

Would this model have had the chrome/metal trim on the bottom?
    I am also looking for an original blue rear cowl with the stripes. Maybe looking for a seat, but its probably easier just to re-do mine even though I have to put new foam as well. I'm starting to hate the seat on there now.
    Thanks in advance!

By jimmypantz at 2012-05-05
    By jimmypantz at 2012-05-05

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM.

This...

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks...so it would have had the metal trim?? Can I make that myself??
      Cheers

Comment

Why do you feel ripped off? That's a pretty nice-looking example, and the base GS bikes seem to be more popular now than the cast-wheel E models or the disco-era dated L models. Your exhaust system and engine cases look to be in great shape, too, which is uncommon.

The base model had the flat seat with a grap strap, and no metal trim. See period ad below:

Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Ok, thanks. No metal trim. I feel ripped off as I was assured by the seller the bike was perfect and was maintained every year and needed nothing. I paid 2000$. The bike won't run over 5000RPM. There was a fire in the airbox and 2 boots are melted. I have already spent over 200$ on parts.
          I'm waiting for new airbox boots and clamps. I'll also adjust the valves and clean and
          re O-ring the carbs. I just expected for 2000$ that it wouldn't be a project.
          I have been in touch with the seller who claims the fire was new and I caused it because I don't know how to baby the throttle. He also said for a 34yr old bike, it should never be run over 4000 RPM.
          This is after taking it out for a couple of test drives, he told me it needed to hit 9000 RPM's a few times to "clean it out". He was a 67 yr old man on crutches (Thats why he was selling it). He was so nice and smooth, but a total scam artist.
          Unfortunately, I am way too trusting and tend to get burned way more than I should.
          Anyways....rant over! I just want to get it back to bone stock.
          I'm thinking this would be a good cover unless anyone knows somewhere else to get one?

There is this one too:

Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

How come this one has the metal strips??

Comment

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

you mentioned pit replica

and then looked at others

how come

I have heard really good things about pit replica

just saying

Comment

Ok...so it seems like it may or may not have had the metal strips. I guess I can do without them. Any opinions on the two covers I linked from the British sellers?
                  The Pit replica one looks fine, its just its in Thailand and might take forever to get here!
                  Thanks

Comment

Well, don't feel too bad. Carb issues are par for the course with old bikes, and VM carbs are easy to clean up and tune. You'll get a great sense of accomplishment when you get it sorted out.

Originally posted by capnjim View Post
                    Ok, thanks. No metal trim. I feel ripped off as I was assured by the seller the bike was perfect and was maintained every year and needed nothing. I paid 2000$. The bike won't run over 5000RPM. There was a fire in the airbox and 2 boots are melted. I have already spent over 200$ on parts.
                    I'm waiting for new airbox boots and clamps. I'll also adjust the valves and clean and
                    re O-ring the carbs. I just expected for 2000$ that it wouldn't be a project.
                    I have been in touch with the seller who claims the fire was new and I caused it because I don't know how to baby the throttle. He also said for a 34yr old bike, it should never be run over 4000 RPM.
                    This is after taking it out for a couple of test drives, he told me it needed to hit 9000 RPM's a few times to "clean it out". He was a 67 yr old man on crutches (Thats why he was selling it). He was so nice and smooth, but a total scam artist.
                    Unfortunately, I am way too trusting and tend to get burned way more than I should.
                    Anyways....rant over! I just want to get it back to bone stock.
                    I'm thinking this would be a good cover unless anyone knows somewhere else to get one?

There is this one too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GS550...7#ht_778wt_952

Comment

Thanks Bob...I know I need to get over it. Getting the bike back to stock appearance wise will help. I hate that friggin' seat!!
                      I think I am going to get the cover from the British seller. Its actually 20-30$ cheaper than the Thailand one. has anyone had any experience with them before?

Comment

If you remove the headlight fairing are you interested in selling it? If so i'd be a buyer if we could find a fair price.

Comment

You should be able to sell that seat and fairing at a price to offset much of the costs of getting a replacement.

Stick with it. I think you are going to have a very nice example of an early GS by the time you are done. Not having to replace the exhaust is going to save you hundreds.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Geez...I never thought anyone would want that crappy seat.
                            I was thinking of keeping the pan and re-building it. They must have comfy new foam that will be better than something 35yrs old.
                            I guess it won't hurt to ask. Problem is I am in Canada and shipping won't be cheap.
                            What would be a fair price for the fairing??
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capnjim View Post
                              Geez...I never thought anyone would want that crappy seat.
                              I guess it won't hurt to ask. Problem is I am in Canada and shipping won't be cheap.
                              What would be a fair price for the fairing??
                              I have no clue. maybe someone here would know. I don't want to offend you with a guess. Again just looking for a fair price. (Although wouldnt turn down a screamin deal)

Comment

Working...
                              X