side panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side panels

OK, so I need to figure out what to do here.....

my stuff is going to the painter on Friday, but I have an issue with the side panels

at some point the nubs on the inside all broke (PO) and I know we fabricated new nubs, added some glue, drilled a few holes, and used some ss self tapping screws to hold them all in place.

Well I really would like to change the panels for new ones, or old ones that are not in the state mine are in, but that will probably not happen.

so here is my idea......

since I have used stainless steel allen bolts throughout the bike, why not now use them on the sides as well, remove the existing screws, make a slightly bigger hole, use some longer SS Allen bolts, and attach the nubs.

What do you all think, good, bad, will look stupid, save the cash and get new sides, or go for it.....

yes they will stick out a bit, I don't think it will bother me while riding, it's more of will it look tacky ? probably, but what else can I do, other than the guy painting to go over the existing screws with some bondo, smooth it out, and paint, so that the screws are not seen......remember all the tins will be painted a pearl white, I will probably be doing some black decals on the the tank, "SUZUKI" and some "750" on the sides, and some pin striping.

Give me some feed back......

A few pictures of what I am dealing with....

Hey man , nothing like leaving it to the last minute

We can fix that with the ABS slurry mix but it will take a bit of time and you wouldn't be able to get them done for Friday at this point. Can you drop off the other bits to him Friday and maybe bring these out to him another day. I know it will at some extra cost to the project but they'll look correct.

If you must, screws will do either painted or not but they will look a bit "ghetto" IMHO. That would be a bit of shame after all the great work you've done.

Bring them by Friday and we can see what we can do.

Cheers,
    Spy

Comment

Ghetto,,,,,,ehhhhhh,,,,,,lol

I can't really drop off a bit now and a bit latter, once he mix's the paint, I would imagine he would want to shoot it all at once, other wise it could end up not being the same color.

maybe he can fix it ? I have heard of the ABS slurry, just forgot I would need to fix these panels up, no matter what he will have to fill in the holes from the screws, maybe if I just mix up the slurry, stick the nubs where they need to be, use the screws to hold them in place until dry, and remove them after, he can then fill in with bondo, sand and paint...

Ghetto.....LOL

you crack me up....

Comment

Check my PM

Comment

reply sent....

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            If you must, screws will do either painted or not but they will look a bit "ghetto" IMHO. That would be a bit of shame after all the great work you've done.
            Getto? Now that's an understatement!

Don't do it...
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I am really trying to not do it with the screws, honestly.......it was just a thought, since I left it last minute......

Hopefully I will come up with something, or the painter can do something as well, perhaps he has dealt with this kind of issue...

spyug, has offered assistance as well, might drop by his place and see if we can muster up some kind of fix

maybe a flatter screw, then bondo over that, and then prime and paint, shouldn't be seen then.

Comment

The top stud was broken on each of my side covers. I glued an earth magnet on, and then covered it with duct tape so it wouldn't scratch the tank. It's easier to pull the studded ones out, than pull that magnet off.
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                X